Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Just finished first listen. This is an amazing record. While I don't think it's better than T&Y, I believe TPAB is worthy of being considered special in its own right and potentially a masterpiece with more listens. Off first listen I am thoroughly impressed and the only reason I'm not calling it a masterpiece right now because I wanna give it few more listens to digest. I knew T&Y was something special from the jump though, so I feel comfortable calling this that too.

I don't think TPAB ever reached peaks that T&Y did, and it's lowest parts are beneath T&Y's as well IMO, but it's special. It's great. It really is. I have this album clocking in with about 9 out of 16 tracks being qualified what I'd considered gems. The others range between good and very good. Like T&Y this track had no bad songs. Not a single one. I HAD NO IDEA KENDRICK WOULD DO THIS. I heard "I" and was like "Kendrick bout to drop some fluffy sounding bullshyt" and just hoped for the best. I didn't think he'd end up topping GKMC and S80.

Glad to be wrong.

5 mics.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First listen - fantastic album.

Salute to Kendrick for making the album he wanted to make, shyt is uncompromising. Sounds like an evolution of Section 80.

I can hear Terrace Martin plenty over this album.

How much a dollar cost is an incredible track.

Love Snoops feature on institutionalized.

I don't expect everyone to like this album, GOOD! This shyt ain't for you

Peace

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Just finished first listen. This is an amazing record. While I don't think it's better than T&Y, I believe TPAB is worthy of being considered special in its own right and potentially a masterpiece with more listens. Off first listen I am thoroughly impressed and the only reason I'm not calling it a masterpiece right now because I wanna give it few more listens to digest. I knew T&Y was something special from the jump though, so I feel comfortable calling this that too.

I don't think TPAB ever reached peaks that T&Y did, and it's lowest parts are beneath T&Y's as well IMO, but it's special. It's great. It really is. I have this album clocking in with about 9 out of 16 tracks being qualified what I'd considered gems. The others range between good and very good. Like T&Y this track had no bad songs. Not a single one. I HAD NO IDEA KENDRICK WOULD DO THIS. I heard "I" and was like "Kendrick bout to drop some fluffy sounding bullshyt" and just hoped for the best. I didn't think he'd end up topping GKMC and S80.

Glad to be wrong.

5 mics.
T and Y? That lupes shyt?

RichSincethe80s

All Star
Daps
Reppin
:whew: Still haven't made it thru the whole album, and I might be a prisoner of the moment but this is probably one of the best albums I've listened to it in a very long time. :salute: kdot

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
TDE tweeted they'll refund any fan who doesn't think its kendrick's best album to date.

Oh no.. thats a dangerous tweet.
Thats like Ryan Leslie saying he'll pay a million for the return of his laptop and got sued and lost...

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Kendrick could've followed the same formula as good kidd mAAd city and no one would've complained. He chose not to. He took a hard turn left, because of that, Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp a Butterfly" is challenging, layered, complicated, unapologetic, strange and undeniably tremendous.

The fact this dude dropped 3 straight top tier albums as his first 3 is incredible to me. What's the last rapper y'all can think of that did that? And I'm being serious. Outkast?