Kendrick Lamar - Like That (Drake & J. Cole Diss) (Produced Metro Boomin) (fukk A Big 3 & Remember Prince Outlived Mike Jack)

derro13

All Star
Daps
Wonder what route hes gonna take with the next project :jbhmm:
Would love a non-rap album...George Clinton said kendrick could pull a classic funk project, would be intesting :jbhmm:

Dot is a great rapper but he makes the best music when he steps outside of that genre

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
What’s the wayback for TPAB

I'll have to peep another time but I remember it returning to the charts last year. I wanna say it's more successful since it had a real hit on it (Alright). That track is always going to stream and sell, whereas I'm not sure there's a track like that on Mr Morale.

I'm not sure Kendrick can afford another dense or inaccessible album this year. He's got to launch his label properly and the Drake beef shyt requires this album to hit. Not saying DAMN 2.0. Rumors point to it being some rappity rap shyt. We'll see.

derro13

All Star
Daps
I'll have to peep another time but I remember it returning to the charts last year. I wanna say it's more successful since it had a real hit on it (Alright). That track is always going to stream and sell, whereas I'm not sure there's a track like that on Mr Morale.

I'm not sure Kendrick can afford another dense or inaccessible album this year. He's got to launch his label properly and the Drake beef shyt requires this album to hit. Not saying DAMN 2.0. Rumors point to it being some rappity rap shyt. We'll see.
Dense albums are exactly what made him the "great" artist he's known for.

Thats what he needs to do tbh. With the latest projects he's earned comparison with the absolute best musicians, thats a lot bigger than just being a great or even a goat rapper
He has also talked about the fact being praised for being an all time great artist was far more gratifying than being praised as a great mcee. He been talking about making non-rap albums a lot these last few years tbh

tehparadox

All Star
Daps
Yeah I can see kendrick really rapping on features but making "music" on albums. He seems aware that being recognized across all genres leaves a better legacy.

Rap fans seem to gravitate more towards section 80, good kid and damn...they're praise to death but fans of every other genres all ride with albums like TPAB and Morale, and these two have even better acclaim in these areas than gkmc, damn & section 80 get in the hip hop community

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Dense albums are exactly what made him the "great" artist he's known for.

Thats what he needs to do tbh. With the latest projects he's earned comparison with the absolute best musicians, thats a lot bigger than just being a great or even a goat rapper
He has also talked about the fact being praised for being an all time great artist was far more gratifying than being praised as a great mcee. He been talking about making non-rap albums a lot these last few years tbh

True. I'm not knocking it. TPAB is his best album by far to me, and that's about as dense as you can get in an era full of people who only listen to 1-2 genres. I'm just saying at this point from a career perspective, this album is going to be a springboard. You have to rebound and set up whatever the second half of his career looks like. To me that means giving people bangers and running the summer.

He's an amazing artist. One of the great things about the leaks is realizing just how good he is. He came up with the All The Stars hook. He wrote many of the best hooks TDE artists used on recent albums. He's great. I just wish pgLang was more of an actual music label than an art house because this man should be surrounded by singers and young rappers more. Less Keem, more from other voices to let his ideas flourish. And bring in rappers to challenge him to keep the pen game up, because it slacked on that last album.

BTW I think this is why he loves the Prince comparison. Prince wrote so much shyt for other artists, just to get his ideas out or to use voices that worked better than his own.

Not Crodie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I can see kendrick really rapping on features but making "music" on albums. He seems aware that being recognized across all genres leaves a better legacy.

Rap fans seem to gravitate more towards section 80, good kid and damn...they're praise to death but fans of every other genres all ride with albums like TPAB and Morale, and these two have even better acclaim in these areas than gkmc, damn & section 80 get in the hip hop community
Don't think Mr Morale gets similar praise than TPAB though...it's highly acclaimed but Tpab is just way above the rest :ehh:
Still his 2 best albums for me
Section.80 probably closing my top 3, and probably my most replayed dot cd

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Purple Hearts is legit one of my all time favorite kendrick songs
As far as I'm concerned, Mr Morale is really like TPAB, in a different genre. and it's probably my second favorite project of Dot because of how uncompromised it was. I think the musical composition on morale is much better than tpab's, but tpab has higher highs in my opinion...Wesley Theory might be kdot's best song imo
If I had to rank all his albums, gkmc would be last...classic, but I feel like all his other projects are better, untitled included.
I genuinely don't get the hate for that album, there's like 10 songs on there that I still play. I do think it's his weakest album, but only because kendrick's discography is so good.

People treat it like Lloyd banks rotten apple
:huhldup:

derro13

All Star
Daps
True. I'm not knocking it. TPAB is his best album by far to me, and that's about as dense as you can get in an era full of people who only listen to 1-2 genres. I'm just saying at this point from a career perspective, this album is going to be a springboard. You have to rebound and set up whatever the second half of his career looks like. To me that means giving people bangers and running the summer.

He's an amazing artist. One of the great things about the leaks is realizing just how good he is. He came up with the All The Stars hook. He wrote many of the best hooks TDE artists used on recent albums. He's great. I just wish pgLang was more of an actual music label than an art house because this man should be surrounded by singers and young rappers more. Less Keem, more from other voices to let his ideas flourish. And bring in rappers to challenge him to keep the pen game up, because it slacked on that last album.

BTW I think this is why he loves the Prince comparison. Prince wrote so much shyt for other artists, just to get his ideas out or to use voices that worked better than his own.
Yeah him writing for other artists further confirms how great he is but I wish these reference tracks never leaked...shyt made me lose respect for Jay Rock. First it was his verse on that black panther album, then money trees, now we have reference tracks for his own fukking album :francis:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

If it’s another hoity toity art piece I’ll pass lol, I respect the craftsmanship though.

I like the notion of him dropping two albums, one more straight forward and another conceptual joint.

Last edited:

tehparadox

All Star
Daps
I genuinely don't get the hate for that album, there's like 10 songs on there that I still play. I do think it's his weakest album, but only because kendrick's discography is so good.

People treat it like Lloyd banks rotten apple
:huhldup:
All his albums got exactly the same reaction when they were released. gkmc got hated when compared to s80, tpab when compared to gkmc, etc etc

and all of them ended up being discussed as classics and true masterpieces :blessed:

People just expect him to make the same music over and over again, and he always ends up making something different :wow:. There will be no gkmc 2, damn 2, tpab 2 or mmandtbs 2.

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
GKMC hasn't left the charts since it came out in 2012. It's the longest consecutive charting rap album of all time. I don't think DAMN has left the charts since 2017 either but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Seems clearly that Mr Morale wasn't the album people expected or wanted. There are clear commercial attempts on there too, it's not really comparable to TPAB which was pretty left field across the board (besides Alright). But the commercial attempts were simply...not great overall. I like the tracks with Kodak but like...does anyone like Purple Hearts? It's a track I can imagine various rappers doing better than Kendrick, to be honest. The lack of lyrical precision and RAPPING on much of the album was disappointing.. Def some good to great tracks on there still, especially on the second disk but overall...meh.

I need a return to form on the next album. And honestly? I think it's time to pocket the focus on narrative or concept albums. DAMN is so well received in part because it's such a loose concept. There's stuff there for the nerds to theorize about but the tracks focusing on emotions or vices allowed a pretty broad exploration of sounds and lyrics. Mr Morale felt like weak tracks were kept on the album solely because they play an important role in the narrative. That's a pitfall of a lot of bad concept albums, especially 70s/80s rock albums. I like The Wall for instance but there are def some wack tracks on there solely because they advance the narrative too lol

I love "Purple Hearts," but I'll admit that Summer Walker elevated the track. She made the hook memorable.

I don't think Kendrick is going to make another album as heavy as Mr. Morale for a while. He never repeats himself sonically and I feel like a lot of factors made Mr. Morale what it was (addressing his celebrity status, becoming a father, COVID, Nipsey and Kobe's deaths). A lot of people don't realize that the album was meant to come out in 2020, and it was finished a year before its release.

Kendrick needed to get a lot of things off his chest, and he's aware that "Like That" was a huge moment, so I definitely think he's going to move in a more accessible direction with his new project. I would be surprised if we don't get an album from him this year, especially with how stacked this year has already been in terms of the top stars releasing something.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Wonder what route hes gonna take with the next project :jbhmm:
Would love a non-rap album...George Clinton said kendrick could pull a classic funk project, would be intesting :jbhmm:

Dot is a great rapper but he makes the best music when he steps outside of that genre

He’s never going to make a non-rapping album. I think its starting to go understated how much Kendrick actually LOVES rap and the art of it. No matter how far he goes in pushing the limits of the genre, he won’t actually fail to include RAP in his albums because its an integral part of him just like it is with Nas, Common, or any other MC who experiments sonically and conceptually but never allows the core of their being to stray from being a rapper.

I’d actually be shocked if Kendrick’s next album doesn’t actually double down on the rapping the way Damn did. I’m expecting more aggression (responding to Drake) verbal dexterity (showing doubters he hasn’t lost a step) more pointed song writing (for those who thought Mr Morale was too esoteric) and mostly a solo mission (for those tired of Keem) not as sprawling, 13 tracks max