Kendrick Lamar - Like That (Drake & J. Cole Diss) (Produced Metro Boomin) (fukk A Big 3 & Remember Prince Outlived Mike Jack)

derro13

All Star
Daps
Damn never left the charts and still going strong, but we won't know if it will break gkmc's record since it came 5 years later (assuming both albums keep charting).

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Post TPAB I see GKMC is still going strong too

GKMC hasn't left the charts since it came out in 2012. It's the longest consecutive charting rap album of all time. I don't think DAMN has left the charts since 2017 either but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Seems clearly that Mr Morale wasn't the album people expected or wanted. There are clear commercial attempts on there too, it's not really comparable to TPAB which was pretty left field across the board (besides Alright). But the commercial attempts were simply...not great overall. I like the tracks with Kodak but like...does anyone like Purple Hearts? It's a track I can imagine various rappers doing better than Kendrick, to be honest. The lack of lyrical precision and RAPPING on much of the album was disappointing.. Def some good to great tracks on there still, especially on the second disk but overall...meh.

I need a return to form on the next album. And honestly? I think it's time to pocket the focus on narrative or concept albums. DAMN is so well received in part because it's such a loose concept. There's stuff there for the nerds to theorize about but the tracks focusing on emotions or vices allowed a pretty broad exploration of sounds and lyrics. Mr Morale felt like weak tracks were kept on the album solely because they play an important role in the narrative. That's a pitfall of a lot of bad concept albums, especially 70s/80s rock albums. I like The Wall for instance but there are def some wack tracks on there solely because they advance the narrative too lol

tehparadox

All Star
Daps
GKMC hasn't left the charts since it came out in 2012. It's the longest consecutive charting rap album of all time. I don't think DAMN has left the charts since 2017 either but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Seems clearly that Mr Morale wasn't the album people expected or wanted. There are clear commercial attempts on there too, it's not really comparable to TPAB which was pretty left field across the board (besides Alright). But the commercial attempts were simply...not great overall. I like the tracks with Kodak but like...does anyone like Purple Hearts? It's a track I can imagine various rappers doing better than Kendrick, to be honest. The lack of lyrical precision and RAPPING on much of the album was disappointing.. Def some good to great tracks on there still, especially on the second disk but overall...meh.

I need a return to form on the next album. And honestly? I think it's time to pocket the focus on narrative or concept albums. DAMN is so well received in part because it's such a loose concept. There's stuff there for the nerds to theorize about but the tracks focusing on emotions or vices allowed a pretty broad exploration of sounds and lyrics. Mr Morale felt like weak tracks were kept on the album solely because they play an important role in the narrative. That's a pitfall of a lot of bad concept albums, especially 70s/80s rock albums. I like The Wall for instance but there are def some wack tracks on there solely because they advance the narrative too lol
Purple Hearts is legit one of my all time favorite kendrick songs
As far as I'm concerned, Mr Morale is really like TPAB, in a different genre. and it's probably my second favorite project of Dot because of how uncompromised it was. I think the musical composition on morale is much better than tpab's, but tpab has higher highs in my opinion...Wesley Theory might be kdot's best song imo
If I had to rank all his albums, gkmc would be last...classic, but I feel like all his other projects are better, untitled included.

derro13

All Star
Daps
As far as I'm concerned, Mr Morale is really like TPAB, in a different genre. and it's probably my second favorite project of Dot because of how uncompromised it was. I think the musical composition on morale is much better than tpab's, but tpab has higher highs in my opinion...Wesley Theory might be kdot's best song imo
If I had to rank all his albums, gkmc would be last...classic, but I feel like all his other projects are better, untitled included.

s80 still the best to me

1. s80
2. Morale & big steppers
3. TPAB
4. GKMC
5. DAMN
6. UU

:yeshrug:
Morale is Kendrick finally making music without trying to have the charts or the critics lock . There's 2 tracks that I don't really enjoy though, but from an objective angle, they're still superb tracks, not just for me.

Last edited:

derro13

All Star
Daps
What makes Morale so much better than his previous work is that his production accentuates the ideas he's trying to get across and for me, this isn't an opinion I reserve for Kendrick it's what I use to measure every rapper by. When I listen to Jay-Z or Nas or Kool G Rap or with more more contemporary artists when I listen to Blu, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Wale, Fashawn etc. I'm judging them by how they use the beat AND their pen, in Kendrick's case he's taken it a step further and hired on some incredibly talented musicians and writers that can bring more to the table than the typical beat maker can.

On average they (the typical beat maker) simply won't know anything about Bebop scales or Altered scales, syncopation and polyrhythms, shifting keys several times throughout a song, writing charts for several instruments or other more complex musical ideas. I feel this musical ambition once tied to his writing is what makes for a pleasing listening experience. TPAB was absolutely amazing in that aspect, but Morale did it even better.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

What’s the wayback for TPAB

Nuuko

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Just like every single Kendrick Lamar major album, Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers was met with widespread critical acclaim"

"To Pimp A Butterfly and DAMN. are respectively the #1 & #2 highest rated hip-hop albums ever"

"Good Kid m.A.A.d City is the longest charting rap album ever"

"DAMN. is the only non-jazz and classical album to ever win the Pulitzer prize"

you're welcome
:wow:Tpab really is the goat album, but MM&TBS is damn close

Nuuko

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GKMC would be a lot of rappers magnum opus...but its just a regular album in Kendrick's discography...thats crazy. They all have a different audience, even though tpab seems to be the consensus one among critics and music lovers:mjcry::wow: