Kendrick Lamar doesn't want to be considered the greatest ever anymore

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don't know how anyone reading that article took that as him retiring in any format. His producer already confirmed that they've started working on the new album already:

People aren't used to artists taking long breaks between albums, especially artists with Kendrick’s status, and being completely silent in the interim.

Imagine if The Coli was in the 80s. People would think MJ doesn't care about music anymore because he would go years without releasing albums.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
There are people who were actually calling him the greatest? LOL!! Come on, now.

Thing is, Kendrick had a really dope run. Dropped some great albums, and the machine was able to get the media to jump on the wave and basically hype the releases up with rave reviews. Mostly, by writers who aren't even Hip Hop heads or even from the community, for that matter. And I honestly think that that level of hype and overrating made Kendrick switch his sh*t up and start trying to fit into this mode that the publications created for him. As time went on, the music got worse. That's not greatness, that's literally what falling off is.

I always f*cked with his early sh*t, but still feel like his career has been way too much hype over substance. There's always been a lot of noise around him, but if you really listen and look at what's been released over the past few years, you see it's all been for nothing.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't know how anyone reading that article took that as him retiring in any format. His producer already confirmed that they've started working on the new album already:

Another article that says he's been working on music during his tour, in this case with Jahaan Sweet who did multiple tracks for Kendrick, Keem, and Drake recently.

This next album will be his first one 100% on pgLang, with no TDE involvement. There's a lot riding on that. There's no way he takes 3+ years for this. He's gotta strike within the next couple years and go big.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
This seems a little bit pretentious to me. For multiple reasons...

Just do your thing, make the music you wanna make. If other people want to discuss where you stand then that's on them to do so, however they wanna do it.

Lets keep it a buck his whole steez upon his return to rap has been pretentious. From wearing a diamond thorn crown and emulating Jesus, his response to No name, I can’t save everybody and the whole I choose me I’m sorry. His schtick has become lame. Putting Kodak black all over your album lame, no TDE features on your last album with lame. Was talking about smoking on your top 5 but feel back the next year. It sounds like he don’t live this rap shyt no more and that’s fine but keep it moving. I don’t care how good you are no rapper is bigger or above this rap shyt.

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

Another article that says he's been working on music during his tour, in this case with Jahaan Sweet who did multiple tracks for Kendrick, Keem, and Drake recently.

This next album will be his first one 100% on pgLang, with no TDE involvement. There's a lot riding on that. There's no way he takes 3+ years for this. He's gotta strike within the next couple years and go big.

I don't expect the wait to be that long. There were certain factors that kept Mr. Morale from coming out sooner (writer's block for two years, COVID) and they shouldn't be ignored. I don't know why people thought Kendrick was sitting at home eating Doritos and watching reruns of Living Single just because it took five years.

Most big artists who take a long time to release a new project usually follow up that one in record time. Especially if that album is considered a disappointment. Eminem came out with Revival after four years, and came out with Kamikaze after eight months. Justin Bieber released Changes after five years, and came out with Justice a year later. Demi Lovato dropped a really personal, vulnerable album last year, almost like a double album. She's on tour right now promoting her new album that sounds nothing like the last one. Even Lorde is working on new music, and she's never released a follow-up album quicker than four years.

I predict we'll get another Kendrick album before 2025.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
i think he's a great rapper IMO, but when i'm replying to someone calling him trash, we aint gonna get nowhere with us being on opposite sides of the spectrum, so i'll settle for the middle "good".

k dot is a very skilled rapper in any era, point blank. even during his run from 2010 to now, we've seen him be very skilled while also making very different music Section 80 k dot isn't untitled kendrick who isn't damn kung fu kenny...yet those very different projects kendrick was rapping his ass off. i can see why some would have the opinion of he's an better artists than rapper, i don't see how people look at his lyrics and skill and call him a trash rapper tho...that's just hate
he's skilled in a technical sense, if you like poetry.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Cole is more witty and better with metaphors than Kendrick. He's also better at saying more with less. Kendrick is a better storyteller and great at conveying how he’s feeling on a track. Also has a more creative delivery. I’m not goin thru all that but Cole’s verse on Johnny P’s Caddy is one of the best verses of the year.
and Wale is better than both of them.