Kendrick Lamar doesn't want to be considered the greatest ever anymore

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Yall love putting him in yalls top 5 but whenever i ask yall to post some of his GOAT bars its always crickets :francis:
People value different things in their raps. People who value picture painting, story telling, concept building, introspection, flow, delivery, relatability, etc will rank Kendrick as a GOAT.

People who value one liners won't. If you're looking for little snippets and pieces of the picture, Kendrick just isn't for you. :yeshrug:

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
Yall love putting him in yalls top 5 but whenever i ask yall to post some of his GOAT bars its always crickets :francis:
Kendrick is comparable to 2Pac, more about impactful shyt than straight bars. 2Pac doesnt have "GOAT bars" either, yet he still considered top 5. Wouldn't you agree?

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't returned to Section 80 in quite some time because honestly
in several ways, it feels like a weaker version of Good Kid, Maad City.
That album is so much better in terms of story telling, musical cohesion, the climax, etc.
I can understand if no other work from Kendrick Lamar stood out to someone OUTSIDE of that album
but Section 80 ? It's cool but nowhere near bros best work.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang

That album is so much better in terms of story telling, musical cohesion, the climax, etc.
I can understand if no other work from Kendrick Lamar stood out to someone OUTSIDE of that album

That’s funny because I feel the opposite on the bolded

I guess from an artistic standpoint you could say GKMC is a “better” project but I feel it’s not really replayable…outside of like 2 tracks I don’t think it’s has songs that are
easily digestible

Section 80 I can damn near listen to the whole album still; on that album and even the Kendrick Lamar EP before it I felt Kendrick had a more chill vibe with his music that I fukked with. He had sprinkles of consciousness on those without going overboard on it or the artsy approach he seems to favor now.

On Section 80 I can jam out to any of these:
fukk Your Ethnicity
Hol Up
A.D.H.D
Ronald Reagan Era
Poe Man’s Dreams
Spiteful Chant
Rigamortus
Kush and Corinthians

GKMC I really only cared for:
Money Trees
M.a.a.d City
Sing about me (and this falls into the “not quite replayable” category for me)

I might’ve even liked TPAB more than GKMC.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
GKMC was a very commercial album. I've done recent relistens and even though it sounds "good", I quickly get bored a few tracks in.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GKMC was a very commercial album. I've done recent relistens and even though it sounds "good", I quickly get bored a few tracks in.
"commercial" in what manner ? And how is "commercial" a marker for "lesser" ?
This is mainstream Hip-Hop :pachaha: not Free Jazz.

And since this is music, sounding good is a major aspect of getting your point across in an album format.

I'd also argue that in direct comparison to releases from that year from guys like 2chainz or Rick Ross.
"Commercial" doesn't necessarily fit the heavy subject matter on that album...at all.... actually.

I'd even go as far as to say most no one else with as much fame and attention as Kendrick Lamar at that
point in time was touching on the same topics in the same manner.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Kendrick is a reactionary artist. Thats why the sonics might change, but his topics reflects the zeitgeist.

TPAB was a response to-and motivation for-the growing BLM movement. That changed his career.
Have you heard Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" or Stevie Wonder's Innervison, Songs In a Key. African American Music we always capture a Moment in Time and have soundtracks to that moment

:pacspit:

You just exposed yourself as a CAC because you don't know Black Music

noumena

All Star
Daps
He totally lost me when he rapped

"Take off the Chanel Take off the Dolce Take off the Birkin bag (take it off) Take all that designer bullshyt off And what do you have? (bytch)"

at the Louis Vuitton Paris show.

What a fraud. I'm shocked no one called him on that.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Have you heard Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" or Stevie Wonder's Innervison, Songs In a Key. African American Music we always capture a Moment in Time and have soundtracks to that moment

:pacspit:

You just exposed yourself as a CAC because you don't know Black Music
Kendrick is only doing that cause he’s guilty about a murder charge he avoided