Kawhi Leonard is withdrawing from Team USA for the Paris Olympics and will be replaced, sources tell me and @joevardon.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Traditional PGs been phased out. Bulls aint have a true PG. Kobe/Shaq Lakers didnt. Spurs didnt. As you pointed out Steph is just a short 2, that can handle the rock. If you got a 6'8 guy that can run the offense or multiple guys around that size that can what do really need a 6'2 traditional PG for?

We know that’s been the case for ‘traditional’ PGs but I’m saying even traditional-sized PGs are being phased out. So even the scoring 1 is being phased out:

At one point seemed like every team had one we had Lillard, Russ, Kyrie, Kemba , etc now how many we got under 30? Tyrese Maxey, Brunson, Garland….?

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Incoming rant… it’s kinda low key, but the PG position is going the way of the center. There’s a notion that the team has enough guards so they don’t need to add Brunson or Kyrie, but there are no traditional old school style/sized PGs. Steph is basically a 2. Jrue is a combo and he’s also 6’4. Halliburton is 6’5. And now Derek white who’s 6’5. There is and was space for Brunson or Kyrie.

The 08 team had cp3, Kidd, and Deron Williams. (Then still had Wade, Reed, and Kobe at SG).

The ‘12 team had cp3, Russ, and Deron (and Kobe and harden at SG)

But now that the CAcaltyics have the game and the traditional PG archetype—-which is one position white boys can’t really play—- is being destroyed. Isaiah Collier would been a top 5 pick 5 years ago, now he’s a 2nd rounder. Spurs trading Dillingham for a 2031 pick. Etc They trying to get traditional hooper type guards out the game
Brunson wasnt that great on the WC team, and they dont need his scoring. The last thing they need is a weak spot on perimeter defense. He's also not a traditional PG; he only averages 6 ast and has been score first the last two years.

Lebron is going to initiate the offense anyway.

Braman

Superstar
Daps

Wow. I assumed he must have been unavailable. Guess not. That’s insane adding his teams 5th man over him

I blame Steve Kerr. He’s got quite a few red flags centered around not being able to identify and/or cultivate young talent. Not being interested in Ant in the 2020 draft, fumbling Kuminga until he had to go public, thinking Ant would need to come off the bench on that sorry ass team last year.

Buddy don’t know wtf he doin he just has Steph. I think he’s partial to a role player mentality bc of how HIS career went.

GoFlipAPack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The jokes write themselves and the joke is definitely on the USA Basketball staff for putting him on the team. Put PG or Kyrie on the team in his spot.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
camron-nope.gif

He was on Team USA a few years ago and then he got wrist surgery, which kept him off the team. He definitely wanted to play.

@UpAndComing beef brewing between Jaylen and Derrick uh oh :lupe:

Team Chemistry: -10%

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Brunson wasnt that great on the WC team, and they dont need his scoring. The last thing they need is a weak spot on perimeter defense. He's also not a traditional PG; he only averages 6 ast and has been score first the last two years.

Lebron is going to initiate the offense anyway.

I may be in the minority but I view the Olympic team as a reward. Not as a GM trying to pick the right ‘fit’. When we’ve done that, we’ve lost

Pick the 12 most deserving, star, future HOF players. It’s a snapshot of greatness for the era. We are for fortunate enough that we can do that and still destroy people. We do not need to worry about adding the right perimeter defender. Like imagine if the dream team added Bill Lambier bc we needed some interior size :comeon:

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Wow. I assumed he must have been unavailable. Guess not. That’s insane adding his teams 5th man over him

I blame Steve Kerr. He’s got quite a few red flags centered around not being able to identify and/or cultivate young talent. Not being interested in Ant in the 2020 draft, fumbling Kuminga until he had to go public, thinking Ant would need to come off the bench on that sorry ass team last year.

Buddy don’t know wtf he doin he just has Steph. I think he’s partial to a role player mentality bc of how HIS career went.
This wasn’t a talent evaluation thing. A 6-8 wing that can score and defend went out and you had a younger version that just won FMVP chilling at the crib, I think the Kyrie and Kanye connection played a part

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
:what:

Reigning Finals MVP that plays the same position as Kawhi and is great on both sides of the ball, and you omit him? What the fukk they doing over there on Team USA?

:dahell:

This shyt kinda foul honestly if JB wanted to be on the team.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
One of the best players of his era, historic shame he had to be riddled with a degenerative injury right as he was entering what should've been his prime. :francis: Also... replacing him with DERRICK WHITE???? Over Donovan Mitchell (who already should be in over that fraud Haliburton)???? Delusional... :scust:
Hali over Mitchell is a crazy decision