Just walked out of Foxcatcher

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
@track 1 was partly right. This movie is overrated. It was too drawn out. The pacing was too slow, and it needed major editing. I get what the director was going for, but it didn't really work. Too many still shots, and long silences. I'm sure being in the room with someone like du Pont was uncomfortable and filled with dreadful silence pauses, but there has to be a way to convey that on film without putting the audience through it over and over again.

I also have another bone to pick with this film. It's clear from du Pont's biography he was mentally ill, but the film paints his problems as a result of his mother's high expectations. Maybe he did have an overbearing psychologically abusive mother, but dude was clearly schizophrenic, or had schizoid personality disorder. There was an opportunity there to explore his mental decline, but they kinda glossed over it and focused on his efforts to please his mother, which was boring!

So yeah, not great, but it wasn't a total loss. If you like a slow burn, this has one. It became more engaging as it went on, but it took too long to get there, and even then, the ending felt anti-climatic. Carell nails du Pont, and Ruffalo delivers a really great and subtle performance as David Shultz. I thought Tatum did well too, and shows potential for evolving.

2 out of 5 stars for poor editing and pacing.

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
The one in the movies was different from the pre-screening I saw with the later being a better version. A lot was left out of the theater version.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Jusy watched this finally. Wasnt bored but def Steve didnt deserve am Oscar for this. Anybody could have played this part.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
The more I think about this movie the more I like it. Carell was decent but everything else was on point.
Mark Ruffalo should've won Oscar for that role. I literally said out loud during the movie "I wonder who that is, I've never seen him before." and then saw his name in the credits.
Shocked.