just saw Manchester by the Sea

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I haven't seen a ton of 2016 releases, but this was neck and neck with Hell or High Water for my favorite film of the year. I thought it was terrific.
I've seen 70+ movies from 2016 and Manchester is firmly top 10 for me. As someone that recently lost a family member, it handled the day to day reality of dealing with grief and funeral responsibilities about as well as I've seen a movie do in recent years. shyt felt universally relatable to me in that regard. And the acting was fantastic all around.

Like you, Hell or Highwater is also probably in my top 10.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen 70+ movies from 2016 and Manchester is firmly top 10 for me. As someone that recently lost a family member, it handled the day to day reality of dealing with grief and funeral responsibilities about as well as I've seen a movie do in recent years. shyt felt universally relatable to me in that regard. And the acting was fantastic all around.

Like you, Hell or Highwater is also probably in my top 10.
I'm sorry to hear that about your family.

70 movies... I need to get my game up...

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I will say Casey Affleck can act his ass off, it is curious though that there were no protests or controversy about him and this film like there were of Mr. Nate Parker since Affleck also has a shady past of charges of sexual harassment.
Affleck is white and didn't make a movie that was about to have white America all up in its feelings. The Nate Parker controversy was purely agenda driven.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I didn't like this movie. I won't say I hated it because it had some good moments, but overall it reminded me a lot of "Boyhood", in that the concept was interesting with small compelling dramatic moments, but the execution ended up being dry as hell. I think the film director wanted us to feel the awkwardness, aimlessness, and nothingness that the protagonist felt, but he ended up showing us way too much of nothing and by the end, I wanted to walk out just like @track 1.

Main problem to me was the humor. I'm the only ngguh in the show and nobody is laughing at most of the jokes. Which is rare because you'll usually find at least one white woman who'll laugh at anything. Casey was good but it was nothing that had me rooting for him. His nephew was a lame. If I was Casey we would have fought at least once with this lame niguh attitude. And that ending was terrible. Didn't care about either one of them with that ending. Good film but nothing that I would see again.

I liked it alright but I have to agree with both these posts.

It was a good drama about dealing with grief, guilt and loss, but it put so much emphasis on the awkwardness of the mourning process that it sometimes became a slight parody of itself with misplaced humor. Like the movie lost me when:

In the middle of the incredibly dramatic flashback where we find out that Lee's daughters died in that house fire, we get two ambulance workers clumsily trying to put his wife in the ambulance, and it completely drained the emotional impact of the scene.

I get that those things happen in real life, but they pushed it way too much trying to ease the heavy topic at hand with humor. And the ending was indeed shyt. It did nothing for either of the main characters and just felt so pointless. Again, that might be "real life" but in terms of what was presented here it just fell completely flat.

Also, something that bothered me was how "popular" Lee was. Like in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie this guy has one of the apartment tenants lusting after him (who is literally talking to someone on the phone about how badly she wants to fukk him while he's one room over), a young chick in a bar spills a drink over him just to talk to him (like chicks spill drinks to force contact with guys they like all the time, right?) and two gay guys at the bar are checking him out. And why? To explain to us he doesn't care about women, but make sure we wouldn't think that he wasn't gay? That's the only thing I could think of and just writing that down reminds me of how forced it was. Then they have the mother of one of Patrick's girlfriends also flirt openly with Lee, like we didn't get it already.

There's just so much stuff in this movie not working that at its length of over two hours, I definitely found myself staring at my watch for at least the last 45 minutes.

And I don't know what the big deal is about Affleck's acting in this. He was good but much like his big bro's acting skills it seems Hollywood is just overrating the shyt out of him lately.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Movie was alright. Acting was really good, movie was generally pretty boring though. Maybe I'll give it a second chance, sort of started tuning out a little bit halfway through.

I do admit I liked how real life it felt, it's a bit of fresh air, though that is also part of the reason why it was boring. So often we get wrapped up in a fantasy world in movies that the reality of everything is completely lost. This movie felt real, but there is a reason why movies don't try to reflect reality.

Reality can be really boring a lot of the time, especially when it's not our reality. Perhaps you think you had a particularly exciting week, now think of it as a movie that someone is going to be watching that doesn't know you. Guarantee 99.9% of humanity will find that movie boring.

Last edited:

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
shyt Was Awfully Boring And Dragged. I Couldn't Finish Watching. These Movies Really Don't Need To Be 2+ Hours.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It was good but it's definitely not as good as the other 2 top contenders. I'll never revisit it

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I liked it alright but I have to agree with both these posts.

It was a good drama about dealing with grief, guilt and loss, but it put so much emphasis on the awkwardness of the mourning process that it sometimes became a slight parody of itself with misplaced humor. Like the movie lost me when:

In the middle of the incredibly dramatic flashback where we find out that Lee's daughters died in that house fire, we get two ambulance workers clumsily trying to put his wife in the ambulance, and it completely drained the emotional impact of the scene.

I get that those things happen in real life, but they pushed it way too much trying to ease the heavy topic at hand with humor. And the ending was indeed shyt. It did nothing for either of the main characters and just felt so pointless. Again, that might be "real life" but in terms of what was presented here it just fell completely flat.

Also, something that bothered me was how "popular" Lee was
. Like in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie this guy has one of the apartment tenants lusting after him (who is literally talking to someone on the phone about how badly she wants to fukk him while he's one room over), a young chick in a bar spills a drink over him just to talk to him (like chicks spill drinks to force contact with guys they like all the time, right?) and two gay guys at the bar are checking him out. And why? To explain to us he doesn't care about women, but make sure we wouldn't think that he wasn't gay? That's the only thing I could think of and just writing that down reminds me of how forced it was. Then they have the mother of one of Patrick's girlfriends also flirt openly with Lee, like we didn't get it already.

There's just so much stuff in this movie not working that at its length of over two hours, I definitely found myself staring at my watch for at least the last 45 minutes.

And I don't know what the big deal is about Affleck's acting in this. He was good but much like his big bro's acting skills it seems Hollywood is just overrating the shyt out of him lately.
What about the kid? Breh had 2 girlfriends and 2 admirers and is on the hockey team, basketball team AND in a band!? :usure:

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
What about the kid? Breh had 2 girlfriends and 2 admirers and is on the hockey team, basketball team AND in a band!? :usure:

That too, although the part about him being on two sports teams and in a band is more ridiculous than him fukking around with 2 girls. But I did lol when those girls walked up to the car to ask him about his plans like the guy is Zac Efron or something.:russ:

Neil McCauley

S.D.E.
Daps
regardless of what you thought about the movie as a whole, Casey Affleck is a lock for the Oscar, performance on a hundred thousand trillion :wow:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
That too, although the part about him being on two sports teams and in a band is more ridiculous than him fukking around with 2 girls. But I did lol when those girls walked up to the car to ask him about his plans like the guy is Zac Efron or something.:russ:
Meh I knew dudes just like him in HS. Lots of cats play up the sensitive jock angle, and in towns like that the athletes usually do play on all of the sports teams.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
regardless of what you thought about the movie as a whole, Casey Affleck is a lock for the Oscar, performance on a hundred thousand trillion :wow:
Casey is that dude, never seen him turn in a bad performance...watching tonight off the strength of him being in it...