"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
These articles do a great job at convincing you that there's a huge "shortage" of programmers, developers and that there's soooo many job opportunities. They'll even tell you stuff like "a Python Developer makes avg $100k" or "C++ Developers make avg $100k" , "Mobile App developers make XXXXX), etc.

But here's what they don't tell you...

Yes, a Python, C++, Java developer can make 6 figures annually... but they leave out the part where you simply WON'T get a job JUST being a Python Developer or Java Developer.

They don't tell you that you'll have to know and learn 3-4 different languages, 3-4 different frameworks, multiple libraries, databases and have 3-8 years experience in each of these.

They won't tell you that most of these Web Developer jobs are looking for "Full Stack Developers" meaning a jack of all trades. But what life will teach you is that a "jack of all trades" is a master of none. You won't be able to just be great at one language when you have to continuously spread your focus to many other languages and their frameworks.

Don't let these coding bootcamps and certificate courses fool you. The barrier to getting an actual coding job is higher than anything I've seen. Crazier than some healthcare jobs. Having a decent portfolio and the ability to make some websites/web apps simply isn't enough. They won't tell you that the tech industry requires CONSTANT learning of new languages, frameworks and technologies and that the stuff you're learning now will probably get old by the time you're able to master it (if you ever master anything).

Unlike being an electrician, technician or plumber, or other skilled jobs where once you know the job, you know it. Programming / Development jobs will always have you constantly having to stay up to date, constantly feeling inadequate with new tech / software / programs, getting paid salary but putting in 60 hours or more a week (for projects that might eventually get dropped), the job WILL be your life so forget about hobbies and socializing.... Who honestly wants to live like that? The average person decided to code because they heard of the demand and the salary ranges. Most aren't actually passionate about it. Most people with a "passion" for coding are the ones that have been at it since they were kids or were born into it through older family members. There's a reason why there aren't many people in their 40's, 50's coding and why it's a constant revolving door of 20-30 something year olds. And I can talk about the lack of black people, but that's a whole new discussion.

Last edited:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Almost all of what you're saying is True

however, you say this like it's really hard. Once you know how to code any high level language, you can learn the others very easily. Its usually engine difference and syntax that you'll need to remember.

And frameworks, libraries, backends, connectors. You'll pick this up easily. At 100k, you're not really expected to be that good. Its not entry level, but its not senior level either. Its like.. year 2 or 3. Where i work, a full stack dev isnt making only 100k unless they were a college intern turned employee.

Alot what you said is true, i just dont think its as scary as you're making it out to be

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
You have to remember you are competing against individuals who not only went to a bootcamp or a compsci degree, but if you've ever gone through a stem program, you'll learn that a lot of these folks not only program to get a job. For a lot of them, it has been a life long passion and hobby and the Comp Sci degree is just a way to officially document their skills.

No matter what job you get but especially in this field, you need to show you have a passion for it so its not just about knowing a few languages or having a degree. Employers are looking for you to say what projects you've may have worked on outside of an educational environment and you're competing against a bunch of people who have that history and if all you can say is I know C, C++, Java, Python, etc but have no "accomplishments" to point to, you are at a disadvantage.

There is a lot of people who have shifted their attention to coding as the current "get rich quickly" path. People who think that simply learning a computer language means they will land a 100k job without putting forth any other effort beyond that are going to be sorely disappointed.

If you are pursuing a Comp Sci or Engineering degree, you MUST get an internship or co-op. If you don't have this history when you graduate, you will have a bad time.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
What do you want though? A handout?

If you get suckered into an online course that teaches you one language and expect to be rich from coding.... in 2020... you’re unfortunately mistaken.

Like everything, you have to set yourself apart, you have to be able to create, excel, network, etc. :manny:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
jack of all trades master of none but oftentimes better than a master of one
that's the full saying they don't want you to know
All of the tech CEOs now have the common knowledge of their businesses but it's the other skills and attributes that round them out
that's why I tell young people like 15-16 to learn everything they can and then around 20 starts specializing in something they really like.
this is where creativity comes from mixing unorthodox things together.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Almost all of what you're saying is True

however, you say this like it's really hard. Once you know how to code any high level language, you can learn the others very easily. Its usually engine difference and syntax that you'll need to remember.

And frameworks, libraries, backends, connectors. You'll pick this up easily. At 100k, you're not really expected to be that good. Its not entry level, but its not senior level either. Its like.. year 2 or 3. Where i work, a full stack dev isnt making only 100k unless they were a college intern turned employee.

Alot what you said is true, i just dont think its as scary as you're making it out to be

It is hard breh... People who make coding sound easy are being dishonest. If it was actually easy, everyone would do it and excel at it. I know some JS, C#, Ruby, PHP but nothing to write home about. Remember these are programming LANGUAGES. It's the equivalent of somebody needing to learn Mandarin, Creole, Spanish, French in order to get a job. And even after the fact, these jobs are still hard to get... I can post a bunch of job postings from Dice or Indeed and show y'all just how much they require of you to know and experience to have. It's NOT easy. Please stop saying that cuz there's brehs out there that go into it thinking it is and get met with a rude awakening.

You can google or youtube "can't find job web developer" , "can't find job programmer" and you'll see the amount of people with great resumes/portfolios struggling just to get their foot in the door. People saying stuff like "all you need is to find that one job and once you're in, you're IN" are straight lying breh.