Judgement is probably top 3 PS4 game this gen

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I've never played of this Judgement game. However, I just picked up the PS5 version of Judgment a few days ago as it was on the Summer Sale and have been playing and it's definitely dope. Love the upgrades that the Ryu Ga Gotoku creators have done along the way. I just wish that they could truly apply everything they incorporate in a more consistent way rather than the halfway-ish style that they do. What I mean is, like how there's now plenty of buildings that you can go into and into rooms as well, but instead of everywhere, there's still a lot of totally inaccessible areas and buildings in the game and invisible walls n shyt. Plus, I'd like to be able to do all movement options at all times, rather than be in select cases. Granted, I know that's how it is for RPGs and while I suppose the series are still technically RPGs, they still seem more like sandbox action titles overall. Semantics I guess.

Anyways, I just got to chapter 2 and the story is definitely handled even better than ever. As is the action and all the other lil things. Pff game for sure.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Will definitely check this out down the line after I finish up the Yakuza series

Yeah, I hear that. Yakuza 7 can miss me with going turned based. I get that it's nice to have some shake up changes in any ongoing series. And while I'm alright with turn-based rpgs, I'm more inclined to a game starting as turn-based and switching off to something more real-time vs. going in the reverse, since turn-based seems more of an antiquated gameplay style overall. Plus, I didn't quite feel that Yakuza was definitively an rpg.

Having played Like a Dragon and Yakuza 0-4, I'd argue that it being an RPG plays to the series narrative and character strengths. The brawler games make you feel like a lone wolf who gets help from all these other great supporting characters, while LaD feels like the group's story with all the party characters, loyalty missions, etc.

I think I prefer the Kiwami/Dragon engine style brawler gameplay over the turn-based combat (I be really wanting to put hands on the villains :mjlol:), but overall I think them going the RPG route is the right move given how strong the story and characters in these games are.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Will definitely check this out down the line after I finish up the Yakuza series

Having played Like a Dragon and Yakuza 0-4, I'd argue that it being an RPG plays to the series narrative and character strengths. The brawler games make you feel like a lone wolf who gets help from all these other great supporting characters, while LaD feels like the group's story with all the party characters, loyalty missions, etc.

I think I prefer the Kiwami/Dragon engine style brawler gameplay over the turn-based combat (I be really wanting to put hands on the villains :mjlol:), but overall I think them going the RPG route is the right move given how strong the story and characters in these games are.

I very much disagree. Glad they made this off-shoot spin-off of the games to keep the traditional style and just build upon that.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Thinking of picking this up, how does this compare to Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1+2. Y0 is a near GOAT level game for me

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Played this for free. After about six hours, I had to call it quits. These heavy Japanese style games just aren't for me. I really wanted to like it, too. :yeshrug:

Thinking of picking this up, how does this compare to Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1+2. Y0 is a near GOAT level game for me

It's available for download if you have PSNow.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

I'll put it like this. It's a great game, but it doesn't advance the series as far as it should IMO. It's an equivalent experience to those Yakuza games, IMO. Having a new cast and story makes it feel fresh, I'd say if you like courtroom dramas or mysteries you may like it better than the story of Yakuza.

To me the best of these games is Yakuza 4 though. If you haven't played that one in particular, play that, that's the peak of the series IMO.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Played this for free. After about six hours, I had to call it quits. These heavy Japanese style games just aren't for me. I really wanted to like it, too. :yeshrug:

Not knocking you or anything, but what about Japanese style games don't you like? Are you unable to understand the culture? I don't get it. :patrice:

Like for me I've traveled across the world, not Japan, but different cultures so I just get it, things are different in other places. I'm noticing a lot of people online feeling the same way about Japanese games or non-US developed games lately and it's weird to me, especially since Japan is basically the mecca of video games

Killer Instinct

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Not knocking you or anything, but what about Japanese style games don't you like? Are you unable to understand the culture? I don't get it. :patrice:

Like for me I've traveled across the world, not Japan, but different cultures so I just get it, things are different in other places. I'm noticing a lot of people online feeling the same way about Japanese games or non-US developed games lately and it's weird to me, especially since Japan is basically the mecca of video games

I'm honestly not really sure what's difficult to understand or weird about it. :ld: Japanese writing and culture is different than western writing and culture. I don't know how anyone having a conversation in good faith would claim otherwise. From their cartoons and anime, to their horror films, down to their videogames. I preferred Sleeping Dogs to Yakuza. I also find Japanese horror superior to western horror. These games appeal to a certain audience. I loved Final Fantasy as a kid. Now, it doesn't do anything for me. It's writing, characterization, and pacing is distinct. Persona 5 & Final Fantasy are as unquestionably Japanese as Mass Effect & Grand Theft Auto are unquestionably western/European. It doesn't mean I "don't get" Japanese style video games. They simply don't appeal to me.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm honestly not really sure what's difficult to understand or weird about it. :ld: Japanese writing and culture is different than western writing and culture. I don't know how anyone having a conversation in good faith would claim otherwise. From their cartoons and anime, to their horror films, down to their videogames. I preferred Sleeping Dogs to Yakuza. I also find Japanese horror superior to western horror. These games appeal to a certain audience. I loved Final Fantasy as a kid. Now, it doesn't do anything for me. It's writing, characterization, and pacing is distinct. Persona 5 & Final Fantasy are as unquestionably Japanese as Mass Effect & Grand Theft Auto are unquestionably western/European. It doesn't mean I "don't get" Japanese style video games. They simply don't appeal to me.

I'm not disagreeing that they are different styles, I was just not understanding what makes them unappealing, I suppose. But I got it, it seems your implying that it's too slow moving and quirky, which I agree that it is.

I wouldn't say all Japanese games fit that box, but the story heavy ones do. Mario and Sonic are japanese, for example.

Killer Instinct

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I'm not disagreeing that they are different styles, I was just not understanding what makes them unappealing, I suppose. But I got it, it seems your implying that it's too slow moving and quirky, which I agree that it is.

:ehh: Maybe it is the quirkiness. I love a well done slow burn in my storytelling but the writing in a lot of these games just doesn't grab me like that. FWIW, I hated The Witcher 3 after I copped it on release week back in '15. Three years later, I downloaded it again on some humbug shyt and couldn't put it down. It's entirely possible this game could click with me down the line. nikkas are funny like that. :manny:

I wouldn't say all Japanese games fit that box, but the story heavy ones do. Mario and Sonic are japanese, for example.

No doubt. One glove definitely doesn't fit all.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
On Chapter 8. I actually did not care for this game in the beginning, but Chapter 2 opened up with all the side quests and everything and it became another great title from the studio

I like the "friends around town" mechanic, it helps the world feel more lively. I wish they brought back that making friends in bars mechanic from 6 it would fit perfectly as a detective you could pick up clues and info that way

I also like the dating mechanic, gives you something else to do in game. An excuse to try out mini games as well.

I wish the leveling system from 6 was kept, gave you incentives to eat around town and kinda build your character up a certain way.

fukk THE LOCKPICKING AND WIRE DOOR OPENING. SATAN MUST HAVE DEVELOPED THIS PART. fukk THESE MECHANICS