Jim Ross Reveals Why WWE Chose Shawn Michaels As The Main Guy Over Bret Hart

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
:snoop:

LMAO @ crediting Bret for Summerslam 1992. First of all, the real main event of that show was the World Title match between Warrior and Mach and that match was gonna have a lame ass non-finish so they put the IC title match on last because Davey was gonna win the IC title in his home country and they wanted to send the fans home happy. That's the only reason that match went on last it had nothing to with Bret Hart, LOL. You Bret marks never cease to amaze me.

And if you really wanna be stupid and try to play that game, how about when Bret was World Champ in 1997 and was in a mid card feud with the Patriot that no one cared about while Shawn main evented two straight PPV's with the Undertaker. Bret was world fukking champ and his matches were in the middle of the show while a non title match main evented...LOL.

Shawn's run bombed but I dont think it was all his fault though. He wasn't a natural babyface and the shyt with Jose and that whole 'boyhood dream' thing was terrible. He got over in '95 as a tweener but as usual, Vince had to change it up for his big title run and ruined what he had. Plus losing Hall and Nash two main event stars didn't help Shawn either and then had the NWO to compete with on the other channel which was the hottest thing in wrestling at the time so he had that working against him as well. Then we have Bret sitting at home pouting and trying to use WCW as levelerage for more money instead of being on the cards like Shawn was for Bret when he was champ and the WWF's roster at the time was really thin so his absence was felt. I don't care who you put the belt on in '96 they weren't competing with what WCW was doing at the time.

This reminds me of when Benoit won, had his rematch, then was saddled with Kane while HHH and HBK were feuding in the main event

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
It's amazing to me how Bret and Shawn have long moved on and the marks can't. Yeah I used to choose sides because I was an HBK mark but now I can sit back and appreciate that we got one of the greatest feuds of all time, and maybe they greatest run that two legends had in their careers. It also laid down the ground work for the push of one of the biggest stars in wrestling history and birthed one of the greatest heels in history. But the marks still bickering over nonsense.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It's amazing to me how Bret and Shawn have long moved on and the marks can't. Yeah I used to choose sides because I was an HBK mark but now I can sit back and appreciate that we got one of the greatest feuds of all time, and maybe they greatest run that two legends had in their careers. It also laid down the ground work for the push of one of the biggest stars in wrestling history and birthed one of the greatest heels in history. But the marks still bickering over nonsense.

Vince takes much of the blame for that. How many times did he refer back to the screw job since? At least 20 times

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps

Same thing with Jay Z and Nas

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Take this rep

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop:

And if you really wanna be stupid and try to play that game, how about when Bret was World Champ in 1997 and was in a mid card feud with the Patriot that no one cared about while Shawn main evented two straight PPV's with the Undertaker. Bret was world fukking champ and his matches were in the middle of the show while a non title match main evented...LOL.

I feel like after summer 97 they were pushing bret out the door or knew he was leaving at that point and everything they did was to build up michaels more and his new character as well as they mustve been unsure about Austin and his neck and they had to devalue bret before he went to the other company.
Its like even summerslam 97 bret was the main event wit taker but it was more focus on michaels and building his heel turn

Ruby'sRevolver

Man in the Black Hat
Daps

I agree, but shyt like this happens in sports and in music and a bunch of other shyt as well so I don't get bothered by it, its just how people are. I will admit I do love fukking with the Bret marks when they say some over the top dumb shyt like the dude I quoted did, but its all for fun.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
You act like shawn was there when Austin ascended...lol he lost and was gone but if Austin beats Bret for the title...it ends brets era and it makes perfect sense storyline wise more like does McMahon character come out if Bret stays more than austin, austin was a Phoenix nothing was stopping that

Bret would have ushered in Austin even better than Michaels IMO. Injury or not, I doubt Michaels/Austin could have ever surpassed Bret/Austin from an in or out of ring standpoint based on Austin’s chemistry with both guys.

The thing we would have really missed out on which helped bring in the Austin era was the Tyson involvement. I can’t stress how important that was to WWF, and more importantly, Austin’s rise to the top of the mountain. All things considered, we probably got blessed by the wrestling gods with the best overall outcome given the circumstances. I just hate that the Austin/Bret story didn’t get more chapters because they had such great chemistry.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Like Jake said, the business was in a bad place when those are the guys
Jake was a fake tough guy whi was scares to fight a fan during the territoriwl days when he was World Champ. Hes a chump.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Looking back, not only was Shawn younger than Bret but also far easier to Market it seems. I didn't know Dude was an a$$hole to Hebner like that after the Ironman Match.:picard:

Coked Up:picard:
Probably couldn't Fight in Real Life, lemme find out HBK was Food to Bret if they really had to throw hands.:hhh:

He had No Choice but to go Religious when he became more and more Washed :flabbynsick:
It was a shot at Bret basically accusing him of having an affair with WWF manager Tammy ‘Sunny’ Sytch. Hart who was married at the time became incensed over the comment and when he went backstage, he and HBK had a full blown fist fight. Hart got the best of HBK in that fight and Michaels got up and screamed that he was quitting and would never work for the WWF again. He then stormed out of the arena while the event was still on-going.

Michaels no-showed appearances and events and went as far as disconnecting his home phone so nobody from the WWF could talk to him. Shawn then did a wrestling magazine photo shoot with Michaels intentionally wearing a WCW Outsiders t-shirt. The hope was that Vince McMahon would be so outraged by it that he would fire him but McMahon held firm. Without being able to contact HBK, the WWF sent legal papers to Michaels home threatening him with legal action.

Ain't no wondering, HitGOAT beat the shyt out of him and had that fakkit ready to jump ship :mjlol: