Jim Johnston Says That Modern Wrestling Music Doesn't Create An Emotional Response

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
They beat the creativity out of him :francis: Only reason I can think him saying this and now he assumes its the business and how wrestlers are booked

Probably asked him to do a bunch of nu metal stuff in the 00s like what they were liscening. Ironically as crap as CF$O was eventually they found their footing finding themes for guys who had character to them particularly down in NXT (Balor, Nakamura, Owens, Zayn, Undisputed) and like AJ

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
That's creating an emotional response I'd say. If it wasn't no one would chant. :yeshrug:

But yes lots of themes do fit with characters today it's just there are more that don't than do.

That’s not an emotional response that programming. He’s talking about personality as well.

HBK = Sex/Pompous
Stone Cold = Volatile/Danger
Undertaker = Foreboding/Doom
Rock = Greatness/Aspiration

Watching the Jim doc, his goal was to embed as much of the character into the theme. These new generation of dudes just have movie OSTs as themes these days. Part of that is to the times changing.

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
That’s not an emotional response that programming. He’s talking about personality as well.

HBK = Sex/Pompous

Watching the Jim doc, his goal was to embed as much of the character into the theme. These new generation of dudes just have movie OSTs as themes these days. Part of that is to the times changing.
Sure I can agree on that. Like I posted before more have a less emotional response that ones that do. A select few do currently. I'd say most of us can agree Roman's is one for sure.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Superstar
Daps
In an interview with Conversations with Conrad (via Wrestling Inc), Jim Johnston criticized modern wrestling music, which he said doesn’t create an emotional response. Johnston was the composer at WWE for decades until his release in 2017.

He said: “Music, for me, is all about making people feel something. That’s its purpose. There’s so much music out there that is so much better produced than anything I can do… and it doesn’t make you feel anything. It doesn’t make you feel anything, it doesn’t have anything to do with the character anymore, which I think is an incredible missed opportunity … It’s certainly homogenous and very generic … It feels like it’s thought out like, ‘this guy is hard-hitting, so hard-hitting drums!’ and it doesn’t make you feel anything.
This man is a Max Martin in his own right

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Superstar
Daps

HBK = Sex/Pompous

There’s a documentary?

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
Impact:
Moose

Violent By Design

Steve Maclin

Joe Hendry

Mickie James

Deonna Purrazzo

The Design

Josh Alexander

WWE (Raw/Smackdown/Developmental):
Roman Reigns
The All Mighty Bobby Lashley
Cody Rhodes
Shayna Blazer
Liv Morgan
Matt Riddle
The Hurt Business
Shock The System
Schism
Pretty Deadly (old theme)

AEW:
Ftr
The Acclaim
2.0 (original theme)
Jericho
Nyla Rose
Hangman Adam Page
Riho
Andrade
The Best Friends
Kip Sabian

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Jim sounds bitter that he was let go.

Def Rebel and CFO$ have created some good themes and some duds. Jim definitely has some classics, but he put out a lot of duds over the years.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
KO's theme is perfect for him IMO.

Seth, Shinsuke and Cody themes all get the crowd hype and kind of present them perfectly.

Roman's theme feels like a damn final boss and thats exactly what he is.

Everybody else is cool.
Asuka
Owens
Becky

They all got memorable themes.

ADK

Cleaner, I got this.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
There’s so many producers on soundcloud that make better tracks rn. I don’t even want gym back cuz he’d probably sound dated anyway.

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
It's like modern day video game soundtracks most of it is forgettable and bland. Sami Zayn's theme song is hella wack sounds like old tv home video background music.