Jerrod Carmichael Officially Comes Out as Gay on His HBO Special ‘Rothaniel’

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Not a fan of how this was chosen to be the rollout vehicle for his “comeback.” He came out years ago so I don’t know why his management and agency chose to push this narrative again. Let his comedy speak for itself.

eh saying he had sexual experiences with men in a special nobody watched wasnt "coming out" per se. he out in the open with it to his family, friends, and the public now

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First time watching his standup and I thought it was really good. He's not laugh out loud funny but he's got a raw, emotional honesty that a lot of standup comics lack. I also like how self-aware he is and he perfectly called out the reactions he'd get from both Black women and Black men.

My one minor complaint was the audience interactions and questions. They felt forced or staged and they took away from how immersive the whole thing was

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Finally watched it. I've got mixed feelings about the special. By the time it ended I felt frustrated.

On one hand, I think Jerrod is funny, and most of the jokes in the special I found funny. Like the bit where he told his dad, who had side kids on his mother, that he was gay and his dad said "I fukked up, you fukked up...". True or not, funny ass joke.

On the other hand, I get that he probably had to get the second half of this hour out of his system, but I wish he had did it in a way where he had his thoughts lined up better and then had jokes and insights to sprinkle in, because I didn't find it awkward watching him try and put it all together, if felt more annoying.

Part of the reason I fukk with nikkas like Dave or Chris or whoever, is when you watch them or listen to them, you feel like they've done a lot of thinking before and you're getting the results of all that thinking.

This felt like watching the thinking. I was waiting for a revelation or an insight coupled with a punchline or two. It's probably selfish or too much to ask given the shyt he's dealing with, but by the end I just felt like :martin:

Only a comedian could do the first half, but pretty much any person in his situation could have done the second half and it would have been just as slow and boring and nobody would wanna watch it.