Jermaine Dupri Cites Sexyy Red's Album Sales While Explaining How To Save Hip Hop

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Jermaine Dupri has used the release of Sexyy Red‘s latest album to make a point about the true current state of Hip Hop and how he believe the genre can be salvaged..

Appearing at United Masters’ SelectCon conference in Atlanta over the weekend, the So So Def legend spoke in conversation withe the distribution platform’s CEO Steve Stoute and offered his thoughts on the matter.

“People gotta stop lying,” he said. “That’s the beginning of the answer…The industry still tries to make you believe that if you a hot artist and you got a single, that selling albums don’t matter…Akademiks posted today about Sexyy Red album only doing 28,000 copies.

“In the era that I came in the music industry, if you sold 28,000 copies, you didn’t get no other chance to walk in the building again. N-ggas was not talking to you if you sold 28,000 records. It’s such a disconnect between people understanding the streaming situation and actually what you looking at.”

He added: “I came from an era where the numbers were 80,000 100, 200, 800, 900. This feels like it’s going backwards to me.”

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Nikkas have really fully bought into capitalism :scust:
and y’all wonder why Hiphop fell off :mjlol:

Being commercially succesful is cool,
but dictating the value of Black art and its culture to its ability to sell opened it up for white ppl to buy the culture.

Control and drain the life out of it, since that’s how capitalism works.

Capitalism and exploitation have a symbiotic relationship and white ppl will damn near always have the overwhelming edge to buy and control it in that realm, since Black ppl don’t have the same financial power and discipline because of structural oppression and dysfunctional behavior.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Yousa toy.

You have never been a part of hiphop.

Like how dare you.

You nepotism style sellout.

Tha fukk.
Stfu about hiphop.
Go make rnb like you always made.

You were never apart of a pillar in hiphop.

Art Barr

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Does it really need assistance though? At the end of the day, there still isn't anything like hip-hop.

Kendrick and Drake basically made Taylor Swift's album come and go.

As of right now, the craziest musical hype train is still hip-hop as it's still the youth's music and culture.

Definitely not as impactful as it once was year round, but when it hits it hits.

Last edited:
Daps
Megans last album opened with 50k but she's on a headlining sold out arena tour.

They may not stream her music lol or buy it but they'll buy tickets. I think albums now are just looked at as tour setups because tours is where the money is in music. Seems fewer and fewer younger artists give a shyt about making a great ALBUM. It is what it is.

straightcash

All Star
Daps
These bitches can't sell tickets in several key markets, but the label and media machine wanna keep pushing them like they the hottest thing since sliced bread. (That turns you into an industry plant even if your blow-up was organic)

iMbjwWW.png

How about y'all push them where they're relevant and leave the Tri-State Area the fuck alone? Sexyy Red isn't moving units overseas either. Her only single that was an international chart hit had SZA and Drake on it.

Last edited:

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Are albums actually CDs still now a days?

I'll be damn if I spend hard earned MONEY on a sexxy red digital album when I can Burn dat Bytch for the Freesky.

straightcash

All Star
Daps
Are albums actually CDs still now a days?

I'll be damn if I spend hard earned MONEY on a sexxy red digital album when I can Burn dat Bytch for the Freesky.

No. A digital album has always counted the same as a physical album. Album "units" stopped being CDs in the early 2010s.

"1,250 premium streams or 3,750 free streams from the same album is equivalent to 1 album unit."

straightcash

All Star
Daps
Who came up with these Rules? I don't think this math is right... actually, the shyt Don't corelate at all and needs to be treated differently.

There's multiple ways to chart now. In theory, the pure album sales is a cheatcode now. Any indie artist can join the charts IF they actually marketed well to their fanbase and got them to buy CDs or digital albums (e.g., iTunes). A few rappers do (or did) that very well. There's nothing stopping, say, Lupe Fiasco from charting except for pure incompetence in his marketing.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
No. A digital album has always counted the same as a physical album. Album "units" stopped being CDs in the early 2010s.

"1,250 premium streams or 3,750 free streams from the same album is equivalent to 1 album unit."

Who came up with these Rules? I don't think this math is right... actually, the shyt Don't corelate at all and needs to be treated differently.
I'm glad someone put this cause I'm old and confused.

This calculation seems dumb