Jeremy Soule, music composer (Elder Scrolls, Guild Wars, KoToR) up next on that Summer Jam screen

Daps

calling out my rapist

calling out my rapist
By nathalie | Published August 26, 2019
On November 4 2008 I was contacted by a studio in Vancouver to design and build an ARG for their new IP.
I talked about my experiences of working with this company before. For example, in this post.

What I didn’t share, when talking about my experiences, is that I was raped by Jeremy Soule while I was working there.

I first met Jeremy Soule at a company Christmas party while I was in Vancouver. We connected over being artists. I was excited about being in “the game industry”, and the fact that I connected with someone like him. He was a fellow artist. He had philosophies about art. It was exciting talking about creativity with him, and the love for it.
At this point in my contract with this company things were slowly going sideways because of poor management (on the part of the directors).
We hung out after the Christmas party and eventually a friendship formed.
He acted like he was going to help me. He was something of a mentor in terms of learning the ropes of this industry (at the time it came off as that). He offered a lot of advice, and offered a lot of help.
We talked often, and I shared my frustrations and desperation about my situation with him. He knew what I was going through, and how desperately I needed this job to work out. He also knew what my VISA situation was like. He pretty much knew everything about me. I shared a lot with him because I thought he was a friend.

We started hanging out on weekends. I didn’t consider this dating because I was very clear with him that the friendship meant too much to me. I didn’t want a relationship. I wanted a friendship.
I never reached out to him, or went after him myself. Any contact with him happened because he would come up with a project that he needed help with and wanted to talk about it over dinner or while hanging out. I was naive and trusted that this was a friendship.

Most of the conversations between me and him involved him complaining about the women that wronged him. At the time I thought he was in serious pain, and that he needed a friend to talk too. Now I realize that this was predatory behavior.
The longer I hung out with him, the worst these conversations got.
He shared about how women cheated on him. He talked about one woman for who he paid for life saving medical treatment, but she rejected him even “after all his help”. He then went on to talk about another woman that he was dating, who had a very young daughter, and he found out that she was being molested. The way he described this was awful and graphic… the more I listened the darker it got, and at this point it sounded more like he did things to these women instead of the other way around.

Eventually he started to indirectly threaten my position at work, saying things like “It’s me or bust.” Jeremy was close friends with the CEO, and the CEO (my boss) would speak highly of him.
I was afraid of losing my job, and he knew how desperate I was because I shared with him that I didn’t know what I would do if this didn’t work out. I didn’t want to jeopardize this job so I was afraid of rejecting him and tried to keep the friendship.
As things went on, he started to become more misogynistic and sexist.
He talked about the mystical power women hold over men with sex. How men are helpless and they need sex. How he needs sex, and a relationship, so he can write his music.
He talked about how composing is sexual, and how he will write about sex as inspiration in his music. He talked about how performing music is very sexual. He wrote songs about women that he had relationships with this way. What he does to women, is what inspires his music.
The work he composed for video games is based on this. He “needs women to inspire him”… there was so much of this, very uncomfortable inappropriate stuff (inappropriate even for friends), and it kept getting darker and darker.
He made advances on me and I explained that I didn’t want this and wanted a friendship. He was very threatening, and didn’t listen. He made it clear that it’s “him or bust”.
He raped me.
Throughout this time Jeremy acted like a victim, and blamed women he was in relationships with (or forced relationships on) for what he was doing.

What made this hard for me was that I used to be a fan of Morrowind. I loved that game. It was one of my favorite games. When Skyrim came out I couldn’t play it, knowing where his music came from.
He makes songs about sex. It’s about what he does to women. To him it’s some sick twisted old-school romanticization of women as muses. To me, that type of boy-genius is something I view as incredibly destructive. That type of manbaby genius can do whatever he wants, harm whoever he likes, walk over whoever he wants, all in the interest of making “brilliant” work, and people will defend him for it.
Jeremy told me where the inspiration for his music comes from. It was broken down in graphic detail by him. Skyrim came out after what he did to me. Part of me wonders how much of me is in that music too… I can’t listen to it. I can’t play these games anymore.
When Bethesda announces anything at E3 it’s a personal nightmare because his music is part of it and I can’t tune it out.
He can’t bullshyt about that. He talked so much about his music being about sex and women (women that, to my knowledge, he hurt).

She doesn't describe the rape or if it was a one time incident but supposedly he owes her some money too because he asked her to make a website for some jpop singer. When she kept asking for the check he kept saying that the bag was on the way but got paid by the singer and the CEO of where she was working instead and claims they still owe her $2000 dollars.

:lupe:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

calling out my rapist

She doesn't describe the rape or if it was a one time incident but supposedly he owes her some money too because he asked her to make a website for some jpop singer. When she kept asking for the check he kept saying that the bag was on the way but got paid by the singer and the CEO of where she was working instead and claims they still owe her $2000 dollars.

:lupe:

It sounds like he corersed sex from her under the threat of her job. I don't get that. I'd rather beat off than force sex from an unwilling participant.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It sounds like he corersed sex from her under the threat of her job. I don't get that. I'd rather beat off than force sex from an unwilling participant.

He's definitely a dirtbag. But the minute it was sex or else, it was HR time. To allow him to fukk under the premise that you get to keep your job is textbook sexual harassment. Throw his dusty cac ass in the bushes.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
He's definitely a dirtbag. But the minute it was sex or else, it was HR time. To allow him to fukk under the premise that you get to keep your job is textbook sexual harassment. Throw his dusty cac ass in the bushes.
Yeah

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps

Yep.

But something tells me to fall back and watch how it plays out, so I will. :hubie:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Damn she got Starlight'ed. :wow:

Fred.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
WILLINGLY spreading your legs and letting him fukk to keep your job is now rape ? :what:

Yea the dude is a piece a shyt for coercing her but what she did is classic corporate whore behavior...
I can't believe someone posted something like this and meant it. If that was your sister or daughter would you be calling them a corporate whore because under the threat of their livelyhood their boss or a highly influential person at their job forced themselves upon them?

Are you arguing that valid consent can be given under threat?

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
I'm not going to feed into it. It's just her word and we just had a situation where a female lied.