Jay-Z Files Claim For "Reasonable Doubt'' Master Rights Ahead Of August 29th Auction

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Its the same reason Nas didn’t buy MC Serch’s 5% ownership of Illmatic. He’ll get the rights back in 2025 so it makes more sense to just wait it out.

Dame should’ve sold the rights back to Jay 15 years ago when Jay was more “desperate” to get it. Now all he has to do is just live another 6 years and he’s gucci.

That’s next year breh…

Album saved Nas’ life so I can understand why Jay would want it.

If it wasn’t for that album, Jay would have still been selling bricks in Brooklyn.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Still have my out of print copy with the pistol on the CD, only real-time/first day buyers know about that :myman:

Lucky you…

U must have been one of the fans who was bumping RD while everyone else was playing PAC and Fugees.

I got the Reasonable Doubt reissue with Can I Live II.

I wonder if Jay will have an expanded edition with all the remastered loosies from that era. I know he has tracks in that vault from 1994-2006.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Its the same reason Nas didn’t buy MC Serch’s 5% ownership of Illmatic. He’ll get the rights back in 2025 so it makes more sense to just wait it out.

Dame should’ve sold the rights back to Jay 15 years ago when Jay was more “desperate” to get it. Now all he has to do is just live another 6 years and he’s gucci.

I thought Nas owned his masters now, but the reversions were crucial.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
It’s still crazy sitting here thinking about all these artist signed to labels and u have to wait 25,30,35 years till u can get your record back, over that time the labels been eating good especially the first 5 , 10 years
The way that so many Gen X people are putting classic hip hop into movies and commercials, that is probably some nice change, if the paper is right. 89-94 is 30-35 years ago. So that's a lot of really good hip hop.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I thought Nas owned his masters now, but the reversions were crucial.

Nas owns all of his publishing.

He owns the Masters for every album he puts out under Mass Appeal. He doesn’t yet own Illmatic masters but will in 2029 (this is according to MC Serch’s interview with Math Hoffa)

I believe the plug chick said in one of the Twitter lives that Nas does own the Masters to a few of his Sony/Columbia albums but she didn’t specify which ones and she was emphatic that he didn’t own Illmatic masters and Sony wasn’t keen on giving them up.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Lucky you…

U must have been one of the fans who was bumping RD while everyone else was playing PAC and Fugees.

I got the Reasonable Doubt reissue with Can I Live II.

I wonder if Jay will have an expanded edition with all the remastered loosies from that era. I know he has tracks in that vault from 1994-2006.

I listened to Pac and the Fugees too, that's my favorite Jay album though.

Daps
35 years is the standard timeline as enacted per the Copyright Act of 1976. The law went in effect as of the beginning of 1978. Before 1978, artists could only recover their masters after 56 years, had they not done so already.

This is basically educating, or re-educating, the buyers on what to expect.