jay-z >>>>>>>>> biggie as a lyricist

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
learn how to read

That doesn't mean anything to me. Your post history on SOHH says enough. A lot of people give sideways props. The idea that Biggie is better than Jay-Z as a pure lyricist is insane. Reasonable Doubt vs. Ready to Die is two different levels of intricacy. Stop it.

Jay-Z was on I Love Dough saying, "And skip the bull because we matadors." It's just a basic slick Jay line, but Big comes out with

"I make the best CDs and the best tapes. Biggie stay Richie like Lionel."

Basic ish like that which ONLY sounds hot because of what Biggie was cadence and flow wise. If I or you said that, no one would care. If I said Jay-Z's line in the midst of a verse or a free style battle people would still be :ehh:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Jay has passed BIG, it's not by some large margin like some of y'all are tryin' to paint it. BIG had every tool that all the greats did, and anyone who says any different is clearly not REALLY listening. They're taking a few words and saying "oh, he said green like cucumber skins, oh he said he wears boxers so his d!ck can breathe- he ain't LYRICAL! Where's his multisyllabic words and complex metaphors nsh*t?" The thing w/ Big was that he took some of the simplest things and put them together in a way that other people couldn't. Some of his lines don't look dazzling on paper BY THEMSELVES... but when you connect them to the lines before them or after them, they become part of a thread that's usually sick as fukk. It's not about the lines, it's about the verses as a whole. He did a lot with plain words that a lot of MCs couldn't do with their big monosyllabic concertos.

But Jay has pretty much proven that just like BIG, he can do it all... and he's been around to do more and cover more ground, so yeah, I do give him the edge.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
Satan got mo' whips, the baddest bytches, and stacks on stacks.

Still ain't nothin like being GOD :yeshrug: