Essential Japanese Wrestling Discussion/News

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Mercedes agreed on a contract extension and they make her drop the title, wow. Thought they would keep it on her with the extension signed.

Mayu is the Icon of Stardom. It was originally supposed to be her going over Kairi in a rematch. They are like the Tanahashi/Okada of the Joshis over there.

I get what you're saying but Mercedes is only agreeing to these per appearance deals so they need someone who is gonna be on all the shows.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I get what you're saying but Mercedes is only agreeing to these per appearance deals so they need someone who is gonna be on all the shows.
Valid point.

But the whole point of putting it on Kairi and Mercedes was to help grow the US audience since those are well known names for US wrestling fans. Not sure only running with it for like 4 months was going to do much for that.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Valid point.

But the whole point of putting it on Kairi and Mercedes was to help grow the US audience since those are well known names for US wrestling fans. Not sure only running with it for like 4 months was going to do much for that.

The original point to the IWGP championship was to grow women's wrestling in Japan. It used to be huge back in the 90s. They created this title to put it on co-promoted NJPW shows. Mayu and Kairi were supposed to hold it down.

When Mercedes signed that changed the plan. They put it on her for the worldwide star power. But again, if she's unwilling to sign a longterm contract what can they do.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
GOing to need TK and ROwssy to work out a deal and get some Stardom on FOrbidden Door. Too much exceptional young talent in that company for them not to get that Forbidden Door rub

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Valid point.

LMAO, what? :laff:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
LMAO, what? :laff:

I would think if their #1 priority was the U.S. then they'd actually hook Stardom up to a U.S. streaming provider. They have Mercedes wearing a couple hats right now. She just helped Stardom to their biggest crowd ever. But they also have her on NJPW shows because of the crossover appeal. And then they also have her on the NJPW Strong shows because they are U.S. based.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I would think if their #1 priority was the U.S. then they'd actually hook Stardom up to a U.S. streaming provider. They have Mercedes wearing a couple hats right now. She just helped Stardom to their biggest crowd ever. But they also have her on NJPW shows because of the crossover appeal. And then they also have her on the NJPW Strong shows because they are U.S. based.
It boggles my mind how US centric fans are when it comes to puro/Joshi, even in 2023.

Japanese promotions have been pushing and giving titles to wrestlers that worked in the US since the dawn of time. Kairi getting a run and Mercedes following her is basically booking 101 when it comes to Japanese wrestling. It has nothing to do with appealing to a westerner audience.