satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
8/8/17 update:

Original Post:

The actor will have a recurring role on top of exec producing the half-hour comedy.

Showtime is turning to Jamie Foxx for its next scripted comedy.

The premium cable network has handed out a pilot order to half-hour comedy White Famous, executive produced by Foxx, who also will have a recurring role.

A co-production between Lionsgate Television and Showtime, the project focuses on a talented, young African-American comedian whose star is rising, forcing him to navigate the treacherous waters of maintaining his credibility as he begins to cross over toward becoming “white famous.”

Tom Kapinos will pen the script for White Famous, which is based on an original idea by Foxx. The comedy marks a return for Kapinos to Showtime following his seven-season run on the David Duchovny series Californication. Should White Famous move to series, Kapinos would have two efforts on the air after Fox renewed freshman drama Lucifer for a second season.

“I came up from stand-up comedy, so to be able to share that aspect of my life onscreen with a project like White Famous is incredibly exciting,” said Foxx. “We couldn’t have found better partners than Showtime, Lionsgate and Tom Kapinos to tell this story in the best possible way.”

The potential series marks a return to TV for Foxx, who starred on In Living Color after breaking out as a stand-up comedian. In 1996, he starred on the then-WB Network series The Jamie Foxx Show. That was one of the network's top-rated series during its five-year run.

For Showtime, White Famous becomes its third pilot in the works. It joins drama The Chi from Common and Lena Waithe, as well as comedy Mating from Jason Katims.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Jay Pharoah just became a Ready for Premium Cable Player.

The actor and stand-up comedian, who recently exited Saturday Night Live ahead of Season 42, has nabbed the lead in Showtime’s comedy pilot White Famous.

The half-hour potential series will be executive-produced by Jamie Foxx (Ray) and Tom Kapinos (Californication). Kapinos also will serve as showrunner.

The project, which is based on an idea from Foxx, follows a gifted black comedian who struggles with how to stay true to himself and keep his credibility as he approaches “white famous” levels of celebrity.

If the pilot goes to series, Foxx will guest-star in a recurring role.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Showtime has ordered to series Jamie Foxx’s “White Famous,” which the network ordered a pilot for in June of 2016. Clearly they liked what they saw.

Tim Story directs and executive produces “White Famous,” which stars Jay Pharoah as a talented, young African American comedian whose star is rising, forcing him to navigate the treacherous waters of maintaining his credibility as he begins to cross-over towards becoming “white famous.”

The project – based on producer/creator Jamie Foxx’s personal experiences (who’ll also have a recurring role in the series) – co-stars Megalyn Echikunwoke as Pharoah’s character’s ex-girlfriend, the love of his life, as well as the mother of his son.

Also Utkarsh Ambudkar plays Pharoah’s frustrated agent who wants his client to do whatever it takes to make it big.

Jacob Ming-Trent and Lonnie Chavis also co-star.

Stephen Tobolowsky guest stars in the series’ pilot.

“I came up from stand-up comedy, so to be able to share that aspect of my life on screen with a project like ‘White Famous’ is incredibly exciting,” said Foxx. “We couldn’t have found better partners than Showtime Lionsgate and Tom Kapinos to tell this story in the best possible way.”

“They say you can’t go home again, but I’m thrilled to be back at Showtime, where I’m equally jazzed to be working with the brilliant Jamie Foxx on the creation of another wickedly profane TV antihero,” added Kapinos.

A co-production between Lionsgate Television and Showtime, the half-hour comedy, executive produced by Foxx and Tom Kapinos (creator of “Californication”), is written by Kapinos, based on an idea by Foxx.

No ETA at this time.

:ehh: In.