Jackie Chan laments difficulty in finding new action stars

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
I don't think a MMA star got the swagger like the action stars we grew up on. I am no expert, but I don't think an MMA star got the movements to choreograph action well on the big screen
I'm pretty sure there's a way to make ground&pound, submissions and grappling look sexy but it would mean taking a new approach which laze ass movie studios probably won't risk doing til' some independent tries it and breaks the bank.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Also, Iko is that guy now. The Indonesian guys murderd the game. The Raid 1 and 2 are the pinnacle of Martial Arts cinema.
The south asian actors and directors go the juice now fr. What's great too is they love blood. All those indonesian, thai and vietnamese movies are bloody as hell, ppl get destroyed in these movies. The basically combined the hard hits of 90s kungfu shyt with the blood of slasher movies, its great.

South Koreans killing it too

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
The south asian actors and directors go the juice now fr. What's great too is they love blood. All those indonesian, thai and vietnamese movies are bloody as hell, ppl get destroyed in these movies. The basically combined the hard hits of 90s kungfu shyt with the blood of slasher movies, its great.

South Koreans killing it too

I gotta check these out:ohhh:

JarrodG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
From the 80s to early 2000s we was eating good on them Arts. Hell action movies in general. I remember action movies being shyt in mid 2000s with that shaky cam and obnoxious cuts.

morris

Superstar
Daps
John Wick was the last great American action series in movies

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
From the 80s to early 2000s we was eating good on them Arts. Hell action movies in general. I remember action movies being shyt in mid 2000s with that shaky cam and obnoxious cuts.

The Action movies in the 2000's started morphing into being more cross genres movies. What would be an action film in 80's and 90's would be seen more as a thriller. I.e The Bourne films and Nolan's Batman trilogy.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I already know i'ma catch heat, but are we not counting the Fast & Furious franchise as action? Yes the movies are ridiculous at this point but we all going to see that bullshyt opening weekend, still. :pachaha:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I already know i'ma catch heat, but are we not counting the Fast & Furious franchise as action? Yes the movies are ridiculous at this point but we all going to see that bullshyt opening weekend, still. :pachaha:
no it dont count and i havent seen most of them. out of the 3 i've seen, i only paid money to see the 1st one.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
It would be pretty amazing if they start remaking those old school shaw brother flicks and America better not even think of touching them.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
I don't think a MMA star got the swagger like the action stars we grew up on. I am no expert, but I don't think an MMA star got the movements to choreograph action well on the big screen. I think the issue is we're not bringing in stars from Asia and putting them in good situations to succeed. For example, they bring in a star from the Raid and place him in a Star Wars film
The MCU was never stopping people from making good action flicks. And the main lead from the raid was literally in the first of the new star wars trilogy.