Jackie Chan laments difficulty in finding new action stars

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps
Jackie Chan Laments Difficulty Finding New Action Stars Saying Nowadays, "It's Not How Good Your Kung Fu Is, It's How Good You Look" - DramaPanda

Screenshot since can cut and paste text from the site

fjoVQwL.png

3rOBeli.png

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
I been watching a lot of Kung fu type movies recently and I was thinking the same thing. Matter fact I think it hit me when I was watching Police Story :ohhh:
America has really basically killed action movies.
I like those east Asian cats and Asian movies cause they still out here putting out good action flicks with Kung Fu
Tony Jaa my dude I'll watch anything he in cause he kicking ass the old way.
I like the cat from Warrior show he putting beats on dudes. But he aint in movies like he should be.
And my guy Iko Uwais the fukkin truth. And he's reppin #shortgang :blessed:
But Hollywood moved in from those types. It's all superhero cgi bullshyt now.
Hollywood fukkin sucks :pacspit:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It first became blatant/noticeable to me during those marvel netflix shows. Not during Daredevil bc they did a smart (and plot-relevant) job of covering half of Charlie Cox's face in every fight scene, long before he even had the full suit made. He could swap in and out inconspicuously with the stuntman and we'd never "know".

But when it came to Iron Fist... lol. They couldn't hide that, and the show suffered. Basically, as they moved towards "everyday man" if not "pretty boy" actors to play action-star roles, naturally they came across the dilemma that barely any of those muthafukkas had ever thrown a punch in their life.

At the same time, Tony Jaa and those guys from the Raid can barely speak English... so it'd be a struggle to cast them in most American films other than as the silent super henchmen trope, like what they did with that Indian martial artist (from RRR?) in the "Grey Man" movie.

That said, we've seen OGs like Denzel, Keanu, a prime Matt Damon, etc., take the time to learn the craft to become believable (non-traditional) action stars.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
It's too bad he never taught his son from day 1 he would have definitely been on some jackie chan shyt, but nah he wanted to do drugs... :ufdup: :dead: we definitely need new action stars...

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It first became blatant/noticeable to me during those marvel netflix shows. Not during Daredevil bc they did a smart (and plot-relevant) job of covering half of Charlie Cox's face in every fight scene, long before he even had the full suit made. He could swap in and out inconspicuously with the stuntman and we'd never "know".

But when it came to Iron Fist... lol. They couldn't hide that, and the show suffered. Basically, as they moved towards "everyday man" if not "pretty boy" actors to play action-star roles, naturally they came across the dilemma that barely any of those muthafukkas had ever thrown a punch in their life.

At the same time, Tony Jaa and those guys from the Raid can barely speak English... so it'd be a struggle to cast them in most American films other than as the silent super henchmen trope, like what they did with that Indian martial artist (from RRR?) in the "Grey Man" movie.

That said, we've seen OGs like Denzel, Keanu, a prime Matt Damon, etc., take the time to learn the craft to become believable (non-traditional) action stars.

The less said about Iron Fist the better. Netflix should've been ASHAMED they put that bullshyt out to the masses.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
You set the standard too high, Jackie :mindblown: :francis:

And no one thinks Karate and Kung-Fu are cool anymore like back in the 90s....

Could an MMA movie star work out though?

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

To your Iron Fist point

The show was bad but one of the main reasons the martial arts was so bad was that the actors only had a week to learn the choreography

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Them dudes are so good they can carry a flick with subtitles. I remember seeing 2 of them in the knife fight scene in John Wick 3. They were amazing.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You set the standard too high, Jackie :mindblown: :francis:

And no one thinks Karate and Kung-Fu are cool anymore like back in the 90s....

Could an MMA movie star work out though?
I don't think a MMA star got the swagger like the action stars we grew up on. I am no expert, but I don't think an MMA star got the movements to choreograph action well on the big screen. I think the issue is we're not bringing in stars from Asia and putting them in good situations to succeed. For example, they bring in a star from the Raid and place him in a Star Wars film. Hopefully, with the popularity of MCU declining, they start giving attention to action stars and let them do work in the US market.

It's a damn shame the only action films worth a damn are coming from the John Wick directors

Last edited: