Jack Swagger just signed to fight in Bellator

Hoss

Legalize us.
Daps
Reppin
The North
Hopefully he goes to a big gym and goes all in here. The closest major gyms to him (Combat Club, American Top Team, Blackzilians) are 3 hours away.

Right. Since he's starting late, I definitely think he needs that. High-level coaching and serious training partners at a major gym, and pretty much a full-time focus.

That's the one thing about this story that doesn't sound right: training at some no-name gym on his off days? Sounds a little too casual, like maybe he's treating it more like a hobby than a career.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Right. Since he's starting late, I definitely think he needs that. High-level coaching and serious training partners at a major gym, and pretty much a full-time focus.

That's the one thing about this story that doesn't sound right: training at some no-name gym on his off days? Sounds a little too casual, like maybe he's treating it more like a hobby than a career.

Well, at least he's already rolled for 8 months. I'm baffled that he did zero boxing or muay thai though. CM Punk basically did jiu jitsu once or twice with Rener Gracie before he signed the UFC. CM Punk definitely picked the wrong gym too, he basically just went to the closest big gym to his house. The gym that CM Punk joined hasn't had the best luck in the last few years.

Swagger shouldn't have any problems getting good training though. The major gyms are relatively close to him. He really has to commit and NOT do any of the indy wrestling. He can't do what Lashley did. Lashley would've been a huge star if he committed to MMA.

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Glad wrestlers are pursuing more opportunities instead of being like oldheads struggling living off past glory doing signings at conventions, etc

Not trying to knock them though, get that check regardless

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
How good of a collegiate wrestler was he?

From wiki:

At the 2005 NCAA Division I championships, he lost to University of Pennsylvania's Matt Feast in the second round, and did not place. As a senior in 2006, Hager had a seventh-place finish in the NCAA championships and also defeated the future national champion, Dustin Fox from Northwestern University.[8] Hager was named an All-American at season's end while setting the Oklahoma record for most pins in a single season with 30.[5][7]

Apparently he's 1-2 against Cain Velasquez. 7th place is really good, considering there's 32 wrestlers competing at the championships.

I hope he gets a good striking coach. There's two really good coaches at the major gyms three hours away: Henri Hooft (at Combat Club) and Antonio Tarver (at Blackzilians). Hopefully he takes advantage.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
The irony would be that he would succeed in MMA, while good ole Phil threading lightly in the Octagon:francis:.

I mean Swagger actually will probably be competitive and is a natural athlete. CM Punk was always the slacker geek turned rebel in high school who always complained about the popular kids getting more attention with no athletic bone in his body. That was always going to be a disaster.

How punk managed to land some of the hottest chicks in wrestling is still a mystery cuz deep down he was always that skinny insecure high school geek

TheWhackMamba

The Coli's Drop Bear
Daps
Reppin
Western Australia
Coker will definitely build him up. Plus, the heavyweight division is pretty weak and full of old guys, Bellator's heavyweight division is full of guys older than he is. Maybe in 2-3 years from now, he'll be a good fighter with the right build up.

Coker will eat off the former wwe guy? Does Snoreator deal with usada?

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Coker will eat off the former wwe guy? Does Snoreator deal with usada?

:dwillhuh: Did you have a stroke while trying to spell Bellator, breh?

Not the first time they've used a pro wrestler to boost ratings. Ken Shamrock was the first guy, then Lashley, and now they're going to try to see if Swagger (:mjlol:) can boost their ratings. Coker has had the most success when he books "freakshow" fighters and nostalgia acts(e.g. Ken, Kimbo, Dada, Herschel Walker, Lashley).

And no, Bellator does not deal with USADA. Their fighters are tested by the state commissions.