Albums J. Cole - The Off-Season (Discussion Thread)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Lames gotta stop looking for sneak disses on every damn album. Dudes focus more on gossip than the actual music.

On first listen, this might be his best album. He's rhyming for real on this one. Pretty much going off on every track. Production is solid too. So it was a good move to kinda take a backseat a little and let some other people come in and take the reins behind the boards.

Not gonna lie, I'm always worried about replay value with Cole. I always like what I'm hearing from him, but there's something about his shyt that almost feels a little dry to me. It's weird. Even with this joint, I'm liking everything I'm hearing, and he's going off on most of these tracks, but there always feels like something is missing with dude. I don’t know what it is.

KamikazePilot

Superstar
Daps
Off of first listen this is kind of disappointing like sure he’s doing really good lyrically with good production but there’s not much personality.

A lot of the subject matter is the same this album seems less personal about Cole and more of the overt things we know he struggle with like being one of the only nikkas from his hood that made it or being in the ville and turning it into something more.

I wish this was like 4 tracks longer so Cole could really flesh out this concept and had more of a personal touch.

Off first listen

4YEO
KOD
2014 FHD
The Off Season
Born sinner
The Sideline Story

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
Lames gotta stop looking for sneak disses on every damn album. Dudes focus more on gossip than the actual music.

On first listen, this might be his best album. He's rhyming for real on this one. Pretty much going off on every track. Production is solid too. So it was a good move to kinda take a backseat a little and let some other people come in and take the reins behind the boards.

Not gonna lie, I'm always worried about replay value with Cole. I always like what I'm hearing from him, but there's something about his shyt that almost feels a little dry to me. It's weird. Even with this joint, I'm liking everything I'm hearing, and he's going off on most of these tracks, but there always feels like something is missing with dude. I don’t know what it is.

Maybe he's missing radio singles for you. Cause it's obvious making songs to be played on the radio aren't his goal anymore