IYO, what is the GOAT Nintendo console? (Poll)

The GOAT?

• Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Nintendo 64 (N64)

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Nintendo Gamecube (GCN)

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Wii U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Nintendo Game Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game Boy Color

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Game Boy Advance

• Nintendo DS

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Nintendo 3DS

• Total voters

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Snes

n64 one of the worst controllers.
Lost support to sony( no more FF till crystal chronicles on gamecube)
Snes 2d aged better than n64 3d

link to the past>ocarina
Mario world>Mario 64
Donkey Kong Country trilogy>DK64
FFVI>any rpg on n64

N64 had shooters n Super Smash tho, I’ll give it that. Feel like the PS1 ate the N64s lunch tho:manny:

MaxBundles

Veteran
Daps
Snes and N64 can have a good argument for but nothing tops GameCube for me

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Snes

n64 one of the worst controllers.
Lost support to sony( no more FF till crystal chronicles on gamecube)
Snes 2d aged better than n64 3d

link to the past>ocarina
Mario world>Mario 64
Donkey Kong Country trilogy>DK64
FFVI>any rpg on n64

N64 had shooters n Super Smash tho, I’ll give it that. Feel like the PS1 ate the N64s lunch tho:manny:

Agreed. Very few early 3D era games still hold up well today.
Most of those early 3D N64 games aged like milk with a few rare exceptions, like Mario 64 and the Zeldas.

Super Mario World and All-Stars > Mario 64
A Link to the Past > Ocarina
Yoshi's Island > Yoshi's Story
Donkey Kong Country 1-3 > DK64
OG Mario Kart > Mario Kart 64
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Lufia 2 >>>> any N64 RPG
Street Fighter 2 Turbo > any fighting game on the 64
Mega Man X 1-3 >>>>
Castlevania IV >>>>
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles >>>
NBA Jam >>>>

IMO they shot themselves in the foot by sticking with cartridges and losing their third party support to Sony in the process.
Ultimately, the N64 was a console that did a couple of very specific types of games beautifully, but was mostly trash elsewhere.

The OG Playstation had a way better catalog (and I'm saying that as a Nintendo fan to the grave).

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
for me it’s the NES

*looks at poll results*

damn it’s a slaughter :picard:

woulda chosen NES since it was my first console but SNES just made what the NES had infinitely better.

Most, if not all franchises that had their start on the NES were leveled up when they got on the SNES.

LttP > LoZ,
SM > Metroid
FF3 > FF

etc

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
woulda chosen NES since it was my first console but SNES just made what the NES had infinitely better.

Most, if not all franchises that had their start on the NES were leveled up when they got on the SNES.

LttP > LoZ,
SM > Metroid
FF3 > FF

etc

I have absolutely no sentimental attachment to/personal experience with the SNES outside of playing some ROMs (and yes SM is probably one of my favorite games of ALL time) but I definitely dig why it’s #1 in the polls

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
I'll give y'all donkey kong, but the bullshyt needs to stop.

Snes mario kart was better than 64?
:beli:

Mario 64 >
Oot >
Majora's mask >
Smash bros >
Golden eye >
Diddy kong racing >
Wrestlemania 2000
No mercy
Banjo kazooie
Mario party
Mario tennis
perfect dark

Plus 4 controllers?

e6b8d70542f1fa88ebb765ec4fcc2063.png

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll give y'all donkey kong, but the bull____ needs to stop.

Snes mario kart was better than 64?
:beli:

Nah, the OG was better. I'll give you four player co-op, but the OG Mario Kart plays better. In 64 the lightweight characters are way too good, since they have the best speed and acceleration by far.
In the original, the heavy characters with the worst acceleration had the best top speed, which created a dope risk/reward dynamic. Do you pick the light characters who are easy to use but have lower speeds? Or do you take a chance on Bowser/Donkey Kong, who are the fastest racers (and the toughest characters to learn)?

On top of that, all of the overpowered items in the later games didn't exist (except lightning), so your skills actually had to be on point if you wanted to keep up.

F-zero and Star Fox on the 64 really were improvements though, just for the sake of being fair.

Mario 64 >
Oot >
Majora's mask >
Smash bros >
Golden eye >
Diddy kong racing >
Wrestlemania 2000
No mercy
Banjo kazooie
Mario party
Mario tennis
perfect dark

Plus 4 controllers?

e6b8d70542f1fa88ebb765ec4fcc2063.png

Mario 64 and the Zeldas are piff, but they're also a product of their time.
Mario 64's camera :patrice:
Navi interrupting the gameplay every few minutes :patrice:
Early 3D graphics in general :patrice:

Super Mario World is timeless.
A Link to the Past is timeless.
The OG Mario games (on All-stars) are timeless.
The pixel art in those SNES games still looks incredible to this day. (Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man :banderas: )

As for the other games you've listed here... those joints are not touching the likes of Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X 1-3, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, NBA Jam, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Earthbound, etc.

Almost all of the games you've posted (besides Mario, Zelda, and Banjo-Kazooie) are either shooters or 4-player party games. Like I said earlier, the N64 was great in a few very specific areas. (4-player party games, 3D platformers, and shooters) But outside of those few specific genres, the N64 just doesn't deliver.

RPG's :snoop:
Fighting games :snoop:
Third party support :snoop:

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
A few of y'all summed it up perfectly, SNES had better games overall and N64 dropped the ball by not leveling up the main franchise games significantly (exceptions for Zelda, Mario Kart, and Mario 64)
What's worse for N64 is that the third party support just wasn't there. Bottom line I have way more fun on my SNES emulator 30 years after the console came out

Daps
Reppin
NULL
A few of y'all summed it up perfectly, SNES had better games overall and N64 dropped the ball by not leveling up the main franchise games significantly (exceptions for Zelda, Mario Kart, and Mario 64)
What's worse for N64 is that the third party support just wasn't there. Bottom line I have way more fun on my SNES emulator 30 years after the console came out

Got a hacked SNES classic with 63 games :banderas:
DKC2 and 3, Chrono Trigger, Tetris Attack, Mega Man X2 and 3, Lufia 2, Final Fantasy IV, the Japan-only Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem Games... :wow:

Last edited:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Go a hacked SNES classic with 63 games :banderas:
DKC2 and 3, Chrono Trigger, Tetris Attack, Mega Man X2 and 3, Lufia 2, Final Fantasy IV, the Japan-only Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem Games... :wow:
damn, I forgot to add Chrono Trigger to my list. that n FF6 was a two hitter quitter from Squaresoft. add in Mario RPG n that's just runnin up the score:banderas:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Tough question. All things considered it's the SNES.

SNES had the Best catalog. Quality hardware. Had games for hardcore and casuals. Introduced shoulder buttons. It was a great improvement over the NES, lifted videogames as a whole and the software got much more polish this generation. Just fun gaming while pushing the envelope.

N64 had a weak overall catalog, no 3rd party support and was expensive. Added a dumb ass expansion that did nothing for DK64. They couldn't even figure out why it worked. Link

Wii had the popularity but no games for the hardcore gamers.
Switch has potential but it's too early to grade it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn, I forgot to add Chrono Trigger to my list. that n FF6 was a two hitter quitter from Squaresoft. add in Mario RPG n that's just runnin up the score:banderas:

I forgot about Super Mario All-Stars myself. That's on my classic alongside NBA Jam, Ninja Turtles, and Final Fantasy V.

Mario All-Stars with the SMB1 brick-fix patch. :ohlawd: