It’s time to recognize Doc’s Da Name for the classic album it is

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
Other than DMX 2 joints. I think this was my other most played album of 1998. Personal classic for sure.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
was listening to this album again this morning and just now riding around getting something to eat, this album definitely stands tall among Red’s best

i think it all comes down to which version of Redman’s music you like; the more hard hitting and darker beats on Dare or Doc’s Da Name the lighter but still funky beats. he was still spitting on both. Dare is just more bugged out because of the acid

Muddy Waters was literally the bridge between these two albums and when you go back and listen to it, you see it more and more

i feel like Whut often gets overlooked. the production on that album has held up extremely well, it doesn’t really sound like 92’

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Redman was my favorite MC since like '92, and this was the album that killed that run for me.

This was the first project from Funk Doc that I couldn't really listen to straight through. There was a shift on this one, where he got a little too comical and never got back to making the grimy sh*t that made him a legend. I liked about 1/2 the album, but this project was when the fall-off started. Sadly.

:mjcry:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Redman was my favorite MC since like '92, and this was the album that killed that run for me.

This was the first project from Funk Doc that I couldn't really listen to straight through. There was a shift on this one, where he got a little too comical and never got back to making the grimy sh*t that made him a legend. I liked about 1/2 the album, but this project was when the fall-off started. Sadly.

:mjcry:

i can understand that

there was indeed a shift. a huge shift in sound.

long gone with the dark and grimy sound of Dare and with time and just growing as an artist, the evolution was inevitable

he was more animated than ever before (which would continue going forward) but he still was spitting some shyt

Whut and Dare is for the heads. just straight up hip hop heads who want that exclusive raw shyt, that cassette tape (especially on Dare)

Muddy was a groove. it was laid back, funky and mellow.

Doc was more an animated and lighter or diet coke version of Muddy. he ain't slack on them lyrics, it just wasn't as menancing as Dare or Whut.

Muddy marked the start of Red being more laid back, while Doc was the start of the more comical and light hearted Red

Superstar
Daps
That's those "It Ain't" ass beats.

Doc tha name 2000’s production was a time capsule of mediocre to trash. A precursor to the early 2000’s NYC “we can’t figure it out, fukk it lets just bash this Casio keyboard with my fist” head ass beats.

Red was consistent as always on this album, but the production was bland as fukk. “I’ll bee Dat” is still one of my favorite songs ever though.

This volume of production mediocrity made this era’s GREAT east coast albums really stand out, but a lot of great artist fell victim to unnecessary “modernization” of east coast rap production. I’m still pissed about them friendly ass beats smh. Still got a lot of great projects during those dark times. They just stayed true to themselves.