**ITS OFFICIAL** Walt Disney buys 21st Century FOX

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:russ:This is the dumbest shyt. This argument has been going on for years now and clearly no ones minds will be changed. There are actual academic arguments to interject here but it’s just you nikkas throwing shyt at the wall lol. Be done with this shyt.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
:russ:This is the dumbest shyt. This argument has been going on for years now and clearly no ones minds will be changed. There are actual academic arguments to interject here but it’s just you nikkas throwing shyt at the wall lol. Be done with this shyt.
Well throw some out there.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Well throw some out there.

It’s been done. In every thread about this shyt it’s been done. I don’t like rehashing the same shyt over time. Someone either gets it or doesn’t. Listens or doesn’t. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results if the definition of insanity :russ:

And like @hex told me a week ago, there’s a way to look at film from an academic or critical point of view and there’s a comic book fan way to look at it. Most of the time on this board it’s the latter and the former gets shouted down or drowned out so:manny:

But even with that said, this back and forth that’s gone down for at least 3 years now is silly to me.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@AllHolosEve it boils down to this: I don’t like the characterization of peter Parker or spider man or MJ in the rami movies. I think they’re incredibly flawed characterizations, especially MJ. But that doesn’t mean the first two movies aren’t academically sound and great movies if we’re going strictly by what’s taught in film class and the “rules” of filmmaking.

Most of the arguments for or against the x men movies or any comic book movie on this board all boil down to whether a characterization worked for the viewer or didn’t and the movie is judged based on that bar. So even if a movie like X2 does everything a movie should do to be a dope movie there will still be detractors because not everyone agrees on how those characters were realized. Same goes for Iron Man 2, which has a few slips narratively and direction wise, but not enough to have it looked at as this b*stard child. But because it took the characters to places some people didn’t like, it’s the b*stard. Same for iron man 3 as well.

Comic book fans will forgive actual filmmaking weaknesses. They’ll forgive plot contrivances, shoddy writing, meh villains, and arcs that don’t really go anywhere as long as you give them the character on screen as they remember from the page. Even if what they remember is more wrapped in nostalgia instead of the truth. But the minute you deviate from that, at least according to them, then that’s it. Game over.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
@AllHolosEve it boils down to this: I don’t like the characterization of peter Parker or spider man or MJ in the rami movies. I think they’re incredibly flawed characterizations, especially MJ. But that doesn’t mean the first two movies aren’t academically sound and great movies if we’re going strictly by what’s taught in film class and the “rules” of filmmaking.

Most of the arguments for or against the x men movies or any comic book movie on this board all boil down to whether a characterization worked for the viewer or didn’t and the movie is judged based on that bar. So even if a movie like X2 does everything a movie should do to be a dope movie there will still be detractors because not everyone agrees on how those characters were realized. Same goes for Iron Man 2, which has a few slips narratively and direction wise, but not enough to have it looked at as this b*stard child. But because it took the characters to places some people didn’t like, it’s the b*stard. Same for iron man 3 as well.

Comic book fans will forgive actual filmmaking weaknesses. They’ll forgive plot contrivances, shoddy writing, meh villains, and arcs that don’t really go anywhere as long as you give them the character on screen as they remember from the page. Even if what they remember is more wrapped in nostalgia instead of the truth. But the minute you deviate from that, at least according to them, then that’s it. Game over.
I can see it from both sides. I don't mind switch ups and I can understand why casual movie fans don't notice or get bothered by things I see. It's just when I'm on here I know a lot of brehs are up on both so I can have a discussion with people that actually know what I'm talking about.

I liked X-2. I'm just so hard on Fox because the difference is so great it's harder for me to ignore them.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I can see it from both sides. I don't mind switch ups and I can understand why casual movie fans don't notice or get bothered by things I see. It's just when I'm on here I know a lot of brehs are up on both so I can have a discussion with people that actually know what I'm talking about.

I liked X-2. I'm just so hard on Fox because the difference is so great it's harder for me to ignore them.

Well sometimes it’s two different arguments. Even if the characterization of mystique doesn’t flow with what I’ve read in a comic it doesn’t make first class or days of future past a bad movie. Even if I would prefer them to be in their comic costumes in the first x men it doesn’t make it a bad movie either. It’s a good flick and we’ve seen better flicks since but that doesn’t mean that one isnt good anymore. Strictly from a film standpoint there are three meh to bad x men movies for my money: X3, wolverine origins, and apocalypse. That’s it. The rest are all good and vary in quality on that good scale with X2 and first class probably being the best of the bunch because of everything they do from a movie and story standpoint

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
I'm :dead: that people keep mentioning Deadpool and Wolverine when the sole reason they got good movies is because Fox fukked them up so completely they had to reboot both characters with "Deadpool" and "Logan".

Fred.

Not only that, the only reason that Deadpool even got pushed into production was when that test footage leaked online and all of the acclaim forced Fox's hand. If it wasn't for that, who knows if we ever get a Deadpool movie period (or one that doesn't completely suck since Fox had no faith in putting out the movie we got despite the original script the writers turned in being pretty close to what was filmed) and we definitely don't get a brutal, adult wolverine movie that we got in "Logan" since Deadpool's surprisingly big box office numbers are the only thing that gave Fox the willingness to take a risk and finally make a hard R movie that was true to one of the most brutal characters in the Marvel universe.

I refuse to give Fox any credit for those two films.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Not only that, the only reason that Deadpool even got pushed into production was when that test footage leaked online and all of the acclaim forced Fox's hand. If it wasn't for that, who knows if we ever get a Deadpool movie period (or one that doesn't completely suck since Fox had no faith in putting out the movie we got despite the original script the writers turned in being pretty close to what was filmed) and we definitely don't get a brutal, adult wolverine movie that we got in "Logan" since Deadpool's surprisingly big box office numbers are the only thing that gave Fox the willingness to take a risk and finally make a hard R movie that was true to one of the most brutal characters in the Marvel universe.

Fox put out some great movies, but my main beef is cats act like those handful of movies are the median for the rest of their X-Men filmography. Truth be told their track record isn't much better than the MCU, and that's with the benefit of much higher profile characters.

Fred.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Fox put out Kingsman first in the same release slot deadpool took.

Lets not forget that being a huge r rated hit:thanos:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
[Because i like number crunching/looking at box office] I sometimes wonder about the gap between the hardcore comic fandom's perception and the general public's when it comes to the x-men. For example, the hardcore comic fandom thinks x-men is the greatest thing [and it certainly is from a comic sales perspective, for a 20+ year span], whereas with the general public, if you look at the domestic movie totals:

X1 - 157 million (296m worldwide)
X2 - 214 million (407m worldwide)
X3 - 234 million (459m worldwide)

X:DoFP - 233m (748m worldwide)
X: First Class: 146m (353m worldwide)
X: Apocalypse - 155m (543m worldwide)

Wolverine Origins - 179.8m (373m worldwide)
The Wolverine - 132m (414m worldwide)
Logan - 226m (619m worldwide)

Compared to Spider-Man (pre-MCU)

SM - 403m (821m)
SM2 - 373m (783m)
SM3 - 336m (890m)
ASM - 262m (758m)
ASM2 - 203m (709m)

Post MCU:
SM:HC - 334.2m (880m)

With or without the MCU brand, a "hyped" Spider-Man movie seems to hit that same 330m+ domestic/upwards to 800m worldwide figure. Whereas my 3 favorite/most hyped x-men movies (X2, DoFP, Logan) seem to do in that 200m range.

So if the Disney/Fox merger does happen, i'd be curious to see how the MCU reinvigorates the x-franchise. B/c if it's just more Melrose Place/90210 with the white folks [Wolverine, Jean, Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto, Rogue, Bobby, non-blue Mystique/Beast, etc], then ehhh.

And if it doesn't happen/falls apart, i don't think general audiences would care nearly as much compared to the comic fandom.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I'm not about to write an essay because it's clear that most fans and critics liked not just Logan and Deadpool but also X2 and First Class and Days of Future Past, there's no reason for me to debate those facts. The numbers speak for themselves.

FOX also had some missteps but so has Marvel. So has Disney as a whole.

Stans let their brand biases get in the way of the facts.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I'm not about to write an essay because it's clear that most fans and critics liked not just Logan and Deadpool but also X2 and First Class and Days of Future Past, there's no reason for me to debate those facts. The numbers speak for themselves.

FOX also had some missteps but so has Marvel. So has Disney as a whole.

Stans let their brand biases get in the way of the facts.
If are using what most fans and critics said, no Marvel has no missteps. Those numbers speak for themselves.