It's now illegal to annoy a police officer in NY

Vagina Thief

Your mother has nuts
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Published time: June 06, 2013 11:24
Edited time: June 06, 2013 14:07

The New York State Senate passed a controversial bill on Wednesday that aims to classify ‘aggravated harassment of a police officer’ as a crime, but will it give the authorities the green light for strong-arm tactics if passed?

Sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo, Bill S.2402 would make it a felony to “harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.”

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

Griffo said that New York police require extra safeguards because “too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer…. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

The bill, which will now move to the State Assembly, would make it a crime for a person to make any type of physical action aimed at intimidating a police officer. Harassment of a police officer would be recognized as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

The Untouchables: NY Senate passes bill making 'annoying' police a crime ? RT USA

:scusthov: Up to 4 years in prison brehs? So next time you're stopped and the police officer feels like arresting you he can just say he was "annoyed" :leon:

Fmju

Fixture
Daps
Reppin
PG
NY lost again :snoop:

This L has so many ramifications too :sadcam: inb4 rest of country adopts this law

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
:dead: @ getting a felony for annoying a cop now

This is what happens when you don't stand up after all these years. This is what happens when all this time you were on some "show em the papers" shyt :troll:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
YOU CAN'T DO THIS BUDDY, WE HAVE RIGHTS

birdman-o.gif
@ all the white people getting arrested for some bike path bullshyt

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
You know you a b!tch a$$ when you can't even garner respect when you walk around with a batman equipment belt with a gun, body armor, nightsticks, tasers and pepper plus carte blanche to do whatever you want to n!ggas without repercussion. :snoop: :wow:

F*ck yo legislation :birdman:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Very bizarre law. I guess crime has decreased to much in new york and now they seek to incarcerate people for nothing. Its a felony to annoy a police officer. Its a misdemeanor to desecrate someones grave

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Define annoy...

I side with police a lot of times...but this is bs. I had a friend get arrested because he took a cops badge number down...you mean to tell me he could be a felon behind that shyt now?!

Doubt most will see any jail time or f's on their record behind this, but Its just gonna become another tool to arrest people for no reason.

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Griffo said that New York police require extra safeguards because “too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer…. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

lost respect:rudy: Or are we just tired of the disorderly conduct and unfair treatment/profiling/curruption ....thats why people are bitter towards them

Vagina Thief

Your mother has nuts
Daps
Reppin
New York City

lost respect:rudy: Or are we just tired of the disorderly conduct and unfair treatment/profiling/curruption ....thats why people are bitter towards them

That same part got me like :patrice:. These police walk around here like slave masters breh. especially uptown you have a squad car on every corner and 2 foot patrols on every block. People around here are scared to walk down the street without getting harrassed :merchant:. shyt just hit the fan with this new law.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
Would videotaping a police office while he's conducting a stop or arrest fall under this?

Is it Harassment when you look on and tell a police officer, "Hey you can't do that. That's violating his rights"?

Such a slippery slope my friend