ITS HERE! Cosmos with Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: A Space Time Odyssey Series

Fervid

Largest Member
Daps
Creationist slams Neil deGrasse Tyson’s ‘Cosmos’ for ‘blind faith’ in scientific theories
A creationist has reviewed the new “Cosmos” reboot, featuring astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, and it may come as no surprise that she wasn’t terribly impressed.

“If the first segment is any indication, [“Cosmos”] will attempt to package unconditional blind faith in evolution as scientific literacy in an effort to create interest in science,” said Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell, a physician and Answers In Genesis researcher.

She praises some aspects of the program, such as its “colorful” graphics and “charismatic” storytelling, but Mitchell complains that the program spent too much time describing phenomena that contradict biblical teachings.

“We hope that future segments will spend more time showing actual scientific observations — such as the brief part of this episode showing where earth is in relation to the rest of the universe,” Mitchell said.

She said that segment reminded her of the “Created Cosmos” feature at the Creation Museum, in Petersburg, Ky.

“In Created Cosmos we see how we as people of earth stand in relation to the immensity of God’s Creation,” Mitchell said. “So seeing the enormity of what God in His power created, we get a better perspective on God’s great love for us.”

Mitchell ironically dismisses some of the theories presented by Tyson on the program as unscientific dogma.

“The ‘observational evidence’ to which Tyson refers is not, however, observations that confirm big bang cosmology but interpretations of scientific data that interpret observations within a big bang model of origins,” she said. “The big bang model is unable to explain many scientific observations, but this is of course not mentioned.”

The creationist was particularly troubled by the theory explaining the origin of life presented by Tyson.

“Abiogenesis — the origin of life from non-living elements through natural processes — is essential to naturalistic evolutionary dogma,” Mitchell said. “Yet abiogenesis has never been observed in science. Moreover, abiogenesis violates the natural laws that govern everything known to chemical and biological science.”

“Invoking blind faith in evolutionary principles, Tyson therefore says, ‘We still don’t know how life got started. For all we know it may have come from another part of the Milky Way. The origin of life is one of the greatest unsolved mysteries of science,’” Mitchell said.

Creationists believe that mystery has already been solved and explained thousands of years ago in the Bible, she said.

“We maintain that God our Creator was the only eyewitness to the time of origins and that He has given us the truth about how He created everything in His Word,” she said. “He is the one that created the natural laws that govern the physical world and make science possible.”

Mitchell said Tyson had overlooked the only relevant source to the universe’s origins by scanning the galaxy and studying its physical properties.

“Drawing correct conclusions about the unobservable past requires evaluating ideas about the past within the framework of the Creator’s history,” she said. “Drawing correct conclusions about our own nature, how we should live our lives, and what will happen to each of us when we die also requires that we get our information from the Word of the Source of life, the One who created the cosmos.”
:snoop:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...osmos-for-blind-faith-in-scientific-theories/

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

"I'm a scientist." :shaq:

I literally lol'ed. :laugh:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:whoa:

I'll leave that shyt to them. :heh:

I'd go back and maybe do physics instead of just all this bio and chemistry :beli:

...about to be getting this (professional) degree tho :ahh:
I wouldn't enjoy all the math but I have an insatiable appetite for any information involving the universe. I'm graduating with a bachelors in accounting in spring

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
It was a huge day man. I was so excited for this show and it delivered in every way possible. Neil Tyson is an inspiration to the people and I'm proud he represents us. Plus look at this picture from when he was younger

neil-young-1.jpg

That's swag right there. Him growing up in the Bronx, like I did, and accomplishing what he has is incredible. A true role model right there.
He was a wrestler in college too. So much swag :wow: he said when he took his wife on their first date he just took her to a rooftop and let her look through his telescope :shaq:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
They kept some of the deist vibes from the original but they absolutely shyt on the Catholic Church and religious intolerance to science something fierce.
while I was watching it I wasn't even thinking "wow they're shytting on the catholic church/religion" I just thought of it as they're telling historical facts :pachaha:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
The problem with religious fundies and hard right wingers in general now is they won't stfu and stop trying to be activists. They've always been around. But they used to be like, "I don't believe man came from monkeys but if they tell my kids that in school so what? I'll just tell them it's not true and the world was created 6,000 ago if they ask me :manny:"

Now they're building theme parks with men riding dinosaurs and shyt. :smh:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Oklahoma Fox station accidentally cuts evolution scene from 'Cosmos'

• Email

Host and astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson shares a story about meeting an inspirational force in his life in the series premiere episode of "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey." (Daniel Smith / Fox / March 13, 2014)

Related photos »

By Meredith Blake
March 13, 2014, 11:56 a.m.

On Sunday night, the premiere of the science documentary series "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" on the Oklahoma City Fox affiliate KOKH was briefly interrupted by a local news promo. These things happen all the time on TV. Big deal, right?

Well, it just so happens that host Neil deGrasse Tyson was referring to the theory of evolution just as the accidental preemption occurred. As first reported by the left-leaning website Raw Story, in the omitted portion, Tyson explained how "three and a half million years ago" humans "stood up and parted ways" from our biological "ancestors." (You can see the uninterrupted version here.)

In the version that aired on KOKH, posted below, Tyson's 20-second discussion of evolution is elided almost entirely, thanks to a misplaced spot plugging an upcoming local news broadcast.

The series, which executive producer Seth MacFarlane sees as a corrective to anti-science views, has drawn criticism from religious fundamentalists. Because of Oklahoma's culturally conservative reputation and the almost too perfect timing of the misplaced promo, some have suggested (or even assumed) the cut was made deliberately.

Q&A: Seth MacFarlane hopes 'Cosmos' counteracts 'junk science,' creationism

But on Wednesday the station issued an apology via its Twitter account, blaming the glitch on human error. A representative of KOKH told the Times that the interruption was caused by a "master control operator error" but declined to elaborate further.

Some outlets have characterized the omitted section as the "only" reference to evolution in the episode, but this is not exactly the case. While it is the only instance in which Tyson specifically referred to humans developing from other forms of life, the premiere episode also included the introduction of the Cosmic Calendar, which condenses the 13.8-billion lifespan of the universe into a single year in which modern humans evolved only in the last hours of Dec. 31.

And in another scene set on a beach, Tyson explains how life emerged from the oceans as an animated Tiktaalik, "one of the first animals to walk on land," crawls out of the waves and onto the sand.

)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...cosmos-20140313,0,4969385.story#ixzz2wAwoW8Nj