its crazy to think the Wire was created by a white man

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
David Simon was a writer that covered the Baltimore homicide desk for like 2 years or so. He made the corner

You can notice some of his old articles being in plot lines and characters in The Wire.

That season 4 plot about NY dealers vs, Baltimore dealers: he wrote on article about that in 91’.

Cutty’s character’s full name was Dennis Wise, based on an actual killer in Baltimore.

That's the essence of it. Go back a decade or so, and the men who killed for drugs and money in this city were just that: men. Dennis Wise, Hercules Williams, Vernon Collins -- every last one a stone sociopath. But even detectives concede that people like Wise and Collins knew their business. When they did a drug murder -- they did it alone, in the dark, beyond the realm of witnesses and bystanders. Bystander massacres were scarce.

Now, a decade later, the drug markets are filled with second-class criminals -- small change tossed from the pocket of some Bronx wholesaler, sent south because a $5 cocaine cap brings $10 here in Baltimore, because New York is already cluttered with dopers. These are young men who have no allegiance to this community, who will fire a 9mm Glock near anyone, certain that no one they know will suffer.

Baltimore Sun - We are currently unavailable in your region

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
All I know is I saw Jamie Hector (Marlo) when I was about 13, headed to the basketball court on a stoop with about 30 people all in black, grilling the fukk out of me. I don't think homie was acting and I feel like a lot of the other actors besides Idris at least lived in an urban enviornment

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I mean Ed Burns was a cop and built relationships throughout the years, one of them being David Simon who was a reporter. Live enough life and you'll realize this aint that far-fetched. As intriguing as the street/drug life was the policing aspect was just as amazing. One of the greatest and most underrated scenes of the show. Bunny had so many great scenes but this one is my favorite and always gets overlooked especially in this day and times.

Speech is damn true for nowadays

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
its creator, head writer, showrunner David Simon a journalist

in fact the show was mainly written by Simon and Ed Burns, a baltimore retired detective

simon_burns_1.jpg

how the hell did they understand black culture and urban culture so well

Because is both a police officer (A hunter of Black men) and public school teacher ( A miseducator of black children). Don’t be fooled the wire wasn’t a good thing.

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
David Simon was a writer that covered the Baltimore homicide desk for like 2 years or so. He made the corner
He also wrote Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. You see a lot of the influences that would be on The Wire come from there. For example, the 'Snotboogie' scene that opens the show was lifted from that book.