IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
I don't know what's been said in this thread so far but...
I i know some of these kids coming to my company with security experience are banking 80k+ a year. If they are contractors they are looking at 6 figures. Maybe 10 years of experience at most. Wish i'd stayed in the IT field :(

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don't know what's been said in this thread so far but...
I i know some of these kids coming to my company with security experience are banking 80k+ a year. If they are contractors they are looking at 6 figures. Maybe 10 years of experience at most. Wish i'd stayed in the IT field :(

as long as technology keeps changing it's never too late breh :shaq:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was reading up on SQL. A few articles read that SQL and Marketing degrees go hand and hand. And considering I already got my degree in Marketing, I might start on the studying soon. :myman:

I just need to kop me a cheap android tablet to use as a reader since I can't sit at my computer for long hours.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
want to get into IT, mainly Healthcare IT or Security. I have no background experience and I'm a Liberal Arts major. Where should I start brehs?

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
want to get into IT, mainly Healthcare IT or Security. I have no background experience and I'm a Liberal Arts major. Where should I start brehs?

If you are interested in Health Care IT\Security start by learning all about HIPAA

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are interested in security, I would start with the CompTIA Security+ certification as an entry level jump in point to get a high level overview of fundamental security concepts.

This is the updated version of the book I used a few years ago:

BARNES & NOBLE | CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide by Darril Gibson | Paperback

The test is easy, and while the Security+ is the most entry level of all security certs, it is a good beginning point for anyone interested in moving into the IT security sector who has no prior experience.

Hope this helps.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
If you are interested in Health Care IT\Security start by learning all about HIPAA

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are interested in security, I would start with the CompTIA Security+ certification as an entry level jump in point to get a high level overview of fundamental security concepts.

This is the updated version of the book I used a few years ago:

BARNES & NOBLE | CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide by Darril Gibson | Paperback

The test is easy, and while the Security+ is the most entry level of all security certs, it is a good beginning point for anyone interested in moving into the IT security sector who has no prior experience.

Hope this helps.
thanks bro

ok so if I do happen to pass the test, what jobs/positions should I be looking to apply for? and would I need a A+ certification as well?

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
thanks bro

ok so if I do happen to pass the test, what jobs/positions should I be looking to apply for? and would I need a A+ certification as well?

Like I said, that cert is entry level, so you would be looking at entry-level security and\or network related positions. It would be tough to get anything more off that cert alone, but you could use that cert as a gateway to build a career. After that cert, you could do the CISSP (much harder\more involved) the CEH (ethical hacker), any of the SANS GIAC certs if security is the way you want to go.

But you have to keep your expectations in check. While pasing the Security+ is an accomplishment, in the industry it is considered entry level.

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
thanks bro

A+ and Network+ can only help. If you got the CompTIA Suite of certs, A+, Net+, Sec+, would def be more attractive to perspective employeers.

Just be prepared for entry level roles. Everyone in the industry has to come up thru the ranks, has to earn their stripes before getting the big money roles.

Doesn't mean it is not acomplishable, cause it certainly is, just takes time and effort.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Carné Asada;2943265 said:
What's your degree in? I already went to school and got my degree in marketing :scusthov:

I make pretty good money now in sales but I just hate what I do. So I'm looking elsewhere. An accounting certificate would be my easiest transition but I still enjoy working with electronics and computers.

I have a degree in Informatics. The discipline of Informatics is to solve problems, through the application of science (Mathematics) and computation (Computer Science) within the context of the domain of the problem.

People + Information + Mathematics + Computer Science + Problem in [Insert Domain (i.e. Healthcare, Education, Economics, etc.)] = Informatics

I also have a MBA.

However, I learned and got good at programming by reading (on my on time) and practicing.

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a degree in Informatics. The discipline of Informatics is to solve problems, through the application of science (Mathematics) and computation (Computer Science) within the context of the domain of the problem.

I also have a MBA.

However, I learned and got good at programming by reading (on my on time) and practicing.

:dwillhuh: