IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
All depends where you live, or are willing to move to.

I am in New England and :eat: well.

Entry level up here I would say 60K, Intermediate upwards of (and over) 80K.

I see. Thanks for the information.

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
I see. Thanks for the information.

Word...Good luck!

Security is exciting and interesting, the threat landscape changes daily and there is always something new to learn and do.

Like I said, my next step is the OSCP, which is very technical and hands on.
Jumping point after that (along with real world experience of course) is 6 figures working at a pen testing firm.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Word...Good luck!

Security is exciting and interesting, the threat landscape changes daily and there is always something new to learn and do.

Like I said, my next step is the OSCP, which is very technical and hands on.
Jumping point after that (along with real world experience of course) is 6 figures working at a pen testing firm.

How old are you and have long have you been doing this if you dont mind answering.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Given your background, you may be able to get the CEH then and bypass the Security+ (more entry level cert).

The CEH is more theoretical, but still techincal and still need a strong understanding of networking, protocols and how they behave, some basic programming, etc.

This is the book I used for the CEH studies and found it to be a great resource:

BARNES & NOBLE | CEH Certified Ethical Hacker by Matt Walker | NOOK Book (eBook), Other Format

A CEH with that background will get you alot further then the Sec+.

Does the info in this book pretty much touch on whats in the sec+ inadvertedly?

I'm studying for the Security+ right now and it looks like half the stuff is already covered in the A+ and Network+ (both of which I have). Someone with a CCNA would probably have no problem reading the book and passing this test. The Gibson book is only about 500 pages and it is a real straight forward and easy read.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've only been in this Help Desk position for almost 6 months and I'm about to lose my mind. Granted, I've worked in call centers before but this is a different beast in itself. It's fun to learn new things though. The work is not hard, it's the users that call and the stupid tickets that they create that gets to me. I definitely cannot do this for another year. I have to stay focused and work my tail off to get to the next position.

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
I've only been in this Help Desk position for almost 6 months and I'm about to lose my mind. Granted, I've worked in call centers before but this is a different beast in itself. It's fun to learn new things though. The work is not hard, it's the users that call and the stupid tickets that they create that gets to me. I definitely cannot do this for another year. I have to stay focused and work my tail off to get to the next position.

what certs do you have?

From What I get from this thread.. A+ than Network+ than Security? And hopefully some experience in between

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
between .net, java, and sql

what is the easiest to learn (as far as grasping) and most lucrative?

i'm looking to escape the world of desktop support.. hopefully migrating towards network security or the above mentioned in regards to what peaks my interest.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

i'm looking to escape the world of desktop support.. hopefully migrating towards network security or the above mentioned in regards to what peaks my interest.

For me, it was SQL. But everyone may be different.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

easiest - SQL by far

lucrative - it varies but typically the more languages you know makes you more attractive to employers

Daps
Reppin
NULL
what certs do you have?

From What I get from this thread.. A+ than Network+ than Security? And hopefully some experience in between

I only have a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, but I was a computer technician for a year. I really don't see the point of getting A+ or Network+ certified at this point. I'm currently working a Help Desk position so I can get the experience.