IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn been reading through this thread looks like I might have to jump on the IT bandwagon.
Saw someone mention get your certs up in the audi car thread and laughed but i want to give it serious thoughts i'm jobless and see everyone of my family moving past me my cousin works for IBM in Dublin doing sales and makes 100k a year and my fat ass is at home in the UK. How do i get in the field and not be a failure brehs ?:mjcry:

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
To be honest my ENTIRE tech experience is > 6 years But I know my shyt with the best of them so I'm kind of an outlier when it comes to years experience/pay rate.

There's pretty much three keys to BI Development...

1. Data Discovery and Integration
2. Data Analytics
3. Data Visualization and Reporting

You should have heavy SQL knowledge, data warehouse and database development knowledge (Teradata, SQL Server, Oracal, DB2, Hadoop, Etc.), how to use an ETL tool to move and integrate data (SSIS, Informatica, etc.), how to use tools for data analysis and analytics (SSAS, SAS, Tableau, Excel, Microstrategy, etc.), and data visualization (Tableau, SAS, SSRS, Excel, Microstrategy, Qlikview, etc.)

BI is a very broad topic that requires you to wear a couple of different hats but this ^ is the 20,000 foot overview. You're basically the person that's allowing the company to make data-driven decisions.
:sadcam: Share your knowledge with us breh

Daps
Damn been reading through this thread looks like I might have to jump on the IT bandwagon.
Saw someone mention get your certs up in the audi car thread and laughed but i want to give it serious thoughts i'm jobless and see everyone of my family moving past me my cousin works for IBM in Dublin doing sales and makes 100k a year and my fat ass is at home in the UK. How do i get in the field and not be a failure brehs ?:mjcry:

Get into Sales engineering breh. Its tech plus sales. Thats where the money is.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I definitely can understand and respect that. I'm doing the leg work now, researching how I want to map out my CompTIA certs. I'm going to try and go network security but I'd like to have an extensive knowledge of IT in general to help with potential down-turns in hiring and (god forbid) layoff's. so far, this is what I'm planning...
*CompTIA's IT Fundamentals Cert
*A+ Cert
*Net+ Cert
*Sec+ Cert

then I might try and go for my CEH cert.

The CEH is pretty poor in practise. If you want to be a pen tester a large amount of companies look down on the CEH.

It could be a good intro to the OSCP though, so set your end goals on that. And maybe a SANS course

Daps
I definitely can understand and respect that. I'm doing the leg work now, researching how I want to map out my CompTIA certs. I'm going to try and go network security but I'd like to have an extensive knowledge of IT in general to help with potential down-turns in hiring and (god forbid) layoff's. so far, this is what I'm planning...
*CompTIA's IT Fundamentals Cert
*A+ Cert
*Net+ Cert
*Sec+ Cert

then I might try and go for my CEH cert.
Honestly, id look at the CISSP before CEH. Much more broad then you can decide which direction in infosec you want to start going in. Id prolly add a CCNA in there as well.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i work in it in dublin too :youngsabo:ANYONE can eat here in dublin it's insane. but i've already dropped too much game :leostare:

Last edited:

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
The CEH is pretty poor in practise. If you want to be a pen tester a large amount of companies look down on the CEH.

It could be a good intro to the OSCP though, so set your end goals on that. And maybe a SANS course

Why do companies look down on CEH? I'd think they'd love a CEH lol. but could you explain to me why that is, that they look down on CEH?

and what is OSCP and SANS?

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Any advice or specific posts for a 18 year old? Hook me up.

the very first thing you want to get is your A+ certification.
it covers 2 exams, a 220-801 & 220-802.

220-801 covers the Hardware portion (http://certification.comptia.org/do...m-objectives/comptia_a_220-801_objectives.pdf)
220-802 covers the Software portion (http://certification.comptia.org/do...m-objectives/comptia_a_220-802_objectives.pdf)

once you get A+ it opens up more doors and can clarify what area you want to work with.