IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
has anyone taken any project management certifications like the CAPM? I was looking at it because i'm looking into becoming a Business Analyst and since i don't have any background experience, i thought getting this certification will help me get my foot in the door.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
has anyone taken any project management certifications like the CAPM? I was looking at it because i'm looking into becoming a Business Analyst and since i don't have any background experience, i thought getting this certification will help me get my foot in the door.

I thought about doing that but then I wondered if I would have more education than my boss. That's the shyt they don't like. I'm a senior contract analyst and I swear one of the reasons got brought in was because my education is slightly less than that of my boss. We both have MBAs in healthcare management but she also has a project management cert, plus 30 years more health care experience than I. So, all that to say, how well do you know excel and access breh?

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
I thought about doing that but then I wondered if I would have more education than my boss. That's the shyt they don't like. I'm a senior contract analyst and I swear one of the reasons got brought in was because my education is slightly less than that of my boss. We both have MBAs in healthcare management but she also has a project management cert, plus 30 years more health care experience than I. So, all that to say, how well do you know excel and access breh?
I would day that im on the Intermediate level with Excel and i haven't messed with Access in quite some time. I'm pretty quick at learning new things though.

Daps
This is exactly how it is in most major companies. The higher up a person gets into this field, the more diverse the knowledge needs to be (as it should be), but focusing all your attention on learning Linux and ignoring Windows out of some kind of misinformed, wannabe nerd logic is the worst thing to do from a practical perspective. I've sat in more technical hiring interviews than I can count and if a candidate can't demonstrate a basic knowledge of Windows administration, then they aren't worth the hire. The majority of places need someone that can come in right away and be productive by working on common, highly utilized applications (Windows), not someone that's going to come in and stare dumbly at a Windows Server or Visual Studio while trying to pull that "Linux is so much better, I'm too good to understand Windows" poser attitude. They'll get laughed off the island. :pachaha:

What he said. Build your base knowledge, then differentiate yourself from the masses.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m still in the process of reading this entire thread. Defiantly a lot of gems have been dropped in this thread. Props to everyone who has contributed.
My IT carrer has been a failure. I know I only have myself to blame. I got my A+ but I did nothing since and all I have done is crappy helpdesk jobs :aicmon: I've been at my current helpdesk gig longer than I care to even say. And I don't even want to say how much I make :sadbron:. I havn't moved up at all aside from taking on more of a ledership kinda role. Which is cool but it ain't really helping me in the long run. So I gotta figure something out. It's my fault completly cause I havn't tried to get more certs or anything. The main issue is finding time to study which is something Im sure everyone struggles with. My job now is pretty stressfull so typically when I get home Im :deadmanny: I gotta figure that out a way to get some study time in. I was looking at testout. Has anyone ever tried that? Im looking for more visual learning. Im not great with just sitting down and reading a book. I want to look into the net+ I may not take the cert since I know it's not alot of value but I need to make sure I got the basics of networking down before I look at anything else.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m still in the process of reading this entire thread. Defiantly a lot of gems have been dropped in this thread. Props to everyone who has contributed.
My IT carrer has been a failure. I know I only have myself to blame. I got my A+ but I did nothing since and all I have done is crappy helpdesk jobs :aicmon: I've been at my current helpdesk gig longer than I care to even say. And I don't even want to say how much I make :sadbron:. I havn't moved up at all aside from taking on more of a ledership kinda role. Which is cool but it ain't really helping me in the long run. So I gotta figure something out. It's my fault completly cause I havn't tried to get more certs or anything. The main issue is finding time to study which is something Im sure everyone struggles with. My job now is pretty stressfull so typically when I get home Im :deadmanny: I gotta figure that out a way to get some study time in. I was looking at testout. Has anyone ever tried that? Im looking for more visual learning. Im not great with just sitting down and reading a book. I want to look into the net+ I may not take the cert since I know it's not alot of value but I need to make sure I got the basics of networking down before I look at anything else.
Welcome to the thread breh. I understand your frustration, Ive been at the helpdesk for 5 years and ready to move on up. I come here for motivation to keep pushing and continue to sharpen my skills :mjcry:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Accepted a new job on Monday and they want me to start on the 20th, I'll be cashing in at $42 per hour :whew:, once perm, that joint transition to $92,000 per year. I'm going to break the news to my current employer tomorrow. Y'all think giving a 1 week's notice is fukked up? :manny:

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
Accepted a new job on Monday and they want me to start on the 20th, I'll be cashing in at $42 per hour :whew:, once perm, that joint transition to $92,000 per year. I'm going to break the news to my current employer tomorrow. Y'all think giving a 1 week's notice is fukked up? :manny:
:salute:Congratulation on the new gig and no one week notice isn't that fukked up, shyt when jobs fire people there's no one week notice just the usual:camby:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
what is your new job title?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
What type of developing does this involve, and how much experience do you have?

To be honest my ENTIRE tech experience is > 6 years But I know my shyt with the best of them so I'm kind of an outlier when it comes to years experience/pay rate.

There's pretty much three keys to BI Development...

1. Data Discovery and Integration
2. Data Analytics
3. Data Visualization and Reporting

You should have heavy SQL knowledge, data warehouse and database development knowledge (Teradata, SQL Server, Oracal, DB2, Hadoop, Etc.), how to use an ETL tool to move and integrate data (SSIS, Informatica, etc.), how to use tools for data analysis and analytics (SSAS, SAS, Tableau, Excel, Microstrategy, etc.), and data visualization (Tableau, SAS, SSRS, Excel, Microstrategy, Qlikview, etc.)

BI is a very broad topic that requires you to wear a couple of different hats but this ^ is the 20,000 foot overview. You're basically the person that's allowing the company to make data-driven decisions.