IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Stick at it. It's not terribly difficult once you figure out the OSI model and what happens at each layer. That and learning how to subnet will get you there.

I think the networking thing is something that you really have to enjoy. It's good stuff to know in general for troubleshooting purposes but I don't use that knowledge day to day on my job. Unless you work in a really small shop, the network stuff is usally segregated to a networking team

Yeah its no joke, gonna take a while to learn. Wondering if other fields would be easier.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah its no joke, gonna take a while to learn. Wondering if other fields would be easier.

You gotta be honest with yourself and figure out where you wanna be and work backwards from there. Let's say I wanted to be a network engineer.

Take CCENT/CCNA(If you're on your grind you can knock em both out in a month or two), get a job at a NOC, tier 1 support, tier 2 support, network engineer. If nothing else, you have to use your knowledge or you will lose it. Build networks in GNS3. Break them. Troubleshoot them. Some stuff you won't fully understand until you see it in production, but if you lab well enough you can at least sit in an interview and not look like you are totally out of your depth.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
You gotta be honest with yourself and figure out where you wanna be and work backwards from there. Let's say I wanted to be a network engineer.

Take CCENT/CCNA(If you're on your grind you can knock em both out in a month or two), get a job at a NOC, tier 1 support, tier 2 support, network engineer. If nothing else, you have to use your knowledge or you will lose it. Build networks in GNS3. Break them. Troubleshoot them. Some stuff you won't fully understand until you see it in production, but if you lab well enough you can at least sit in an interview and not look like you are totally out of your depth.

Can I get a NOC job without experience? I got a A+ and a old 2 year from back back in the day, I'm not a young breh like most of yall. I got a A+ but don't get any offers, do I need to get real equipment and network them or can I sim lab of boson netsim?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Can I get a NOC job without experience? I got a A+ and a old 2 year from back back in the day, I'm not a young breh like most of yall. I got a A+ but don't get any offers, do I need to get real equipment and network them or can I sim lab of boson netsim?

I guess the best answer would be it depends. If you're just doing tier 1 crap in a NOC(remote hands, watching alerts for outages, crap like that), you can get on the job training and be up to par in a week. Had a couple of friends that did that working the night shift, all they did was play xbox and read all night :lolbron:

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
I guess the best answer would be it depends. If you're just doing tier 1 crap in a NOC(remote hands, watching alerts for outages, crap like that), you can get on the job training and be up to par in a week. Had a couple of friends that did that working the night shift, all they did was play xbox and read all night :lolbron:

That ain't bad

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

You need to find an aspect of IT that you like. None of it is 'easy', and if it was, you will be in a situation where you can be easily replaced. You have to find that segment that you just love to do and go extremely hard with it so that you are distinguished. Being in a field that's 'hard to learn' is what helps give you job security. You just have to find one where your passion lays so you can push past that initial learning period.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I wonder why you don't see any junior positions for software architect

We got architect and SR architect....that's the highest you can go here on technical path...after SR architect you have to go management if you want a promotion....

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I'm 26 and just getting medically discharged this week, didn't even make it past reception brehs :beli:

What path should I take to get this IT bread?

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
What yall think about contractor work for field techs? Basically those little jobs that hire dudes who have a car to go to places and fix computers for people or other businesses.

I get offers but I got full health and dental where I'm at but it's not a it related job. Debating if I should leave it but I lose out on my benefits. What you think? It's experience on my resume, it's entry level.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
What yall think about contractor work for field techs? Basically those little jobs that hire dudes who have a car to go to places and fix computers for people or other businesses.

I get offers but I got full health and dental where I'm at but it's not a it related job. Debating if I should leave it but I lose out on my benefits. What you think? It's experience on my resume, it's entry level.

If you really want to get into IT, and can get by without the benefits, do it. Keeping it 100% real it can take years before getting full time employment in IT with reasonable benefits. All depends on your living situation.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Those types of jobs are a dead end and the experience won't be worth much. You can do that same type of work in your spare-time without quiting a job with benefits.