IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm from the film industry and with this strike going on, I want to make a career transition to Cybersecurity. I'm currently working on getting the CompTIA trifecta certs. Wish me luck brehs.
The Cybersecurity field is a dumpster fire. The turnover rate is probably way higher than any other Tech discipline.
:mjlol:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Cybersecurity field is a dumpster fire. The turnover rate is probably way higher than any other Tech discipline.
:mjlol:

What I.T. sector has the best options in your opinion?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What I.T. sector has the best options in your opinion?
Plenty of jobs in IT that don't actually do technical work. Who get paid just as much money. But without the added stress or continous ups killing. These positions normally support IT Departments. If you look up a company on LinkedIn you'll see a tons of made of job titles in the technology. These people mainly organize meetings or meet with vendors all day.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Plenty of jobs in IT that don't actually do technical work. Who get paid just as much money. But without the added stress or continous ups killing. These positions normally support IT Departments. If you look up a company on LinkedIn you'll see a tons of made of job titles in the technology. These people mainly organize meetings or meet with vendors all day.
Dap and rep
You just dropped a gem

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I failed my CompTia A+ core 1 exam :why:
I was so confident compared to my Core 2 which I passed by the way.

hmm. I took my A+ back in like 2005 :old: .

What helped me the most was putting together a Gaming PC from scratch.

But as others have said. I would skip the A+. Start with network+.

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the process of going to school for a IT degree, I start on the 28th. I need a career change down the line(sooner than later) and although what I do makes me right a 6 figures, It's not something I want to do the rest of my life. I know a lot of professional and black professional in the IT field with government contract gigs and as I age closer to 40(36), I need the kind of flexibility (in regards to my work in grouphomes/healthcare). A lot of people were telling me to just get certs instead of going back to school but I know not having a degree and prohibit you from gaining as much ground as you could, at least that's what I've read in regards to HR management and beyond

With that being said, is getting (and learning for) a comtia A+ a good starting point? Or should I start with a CCNA? I'm sort of a newbie but not quite and I know I'll need experience. I can finish this degree in under 3 years but I want to pick up cert while at it. It can at least count towards credits for my degree.

HovaNas

Pro
Daps
In the process of going to school for a IT degree, I start on the 28th. I need a career change down the line(sooner than later) and although what I do makes me right a 6 figures, It's not something I want to do the rest of my life. I know a lot of professional and black professional in the IT field with government contract gigs and as I age closer to 40(36), I need the kind of flexibility (in regards to my work in grouphomes/healthcare). A lot of people were telling me to just get certs instead of going back to school but I know not having a degree and prohibit you from gaining as much ground as you could, at least that's what I've read in regards to HR management and beyond

With that being said, is getting (and learning for) a comtia A+ a good starting point? Or should I start with a CCNA? I'm sort of a newbie but not quite and I know I'll need experience. I can finish this degree in under 3 years but I want to pick up cert while at it. It can at least count towards credits for my degree.

Those people were right. Get security+ and Linux essentials with some small projects in your own webpage portfolio. You’d be set.
Get experience on the keyboard while you study for those certs. That’s what’s going to help you.
A+ is not worth it.

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those people were right. Get security+ and Linux essentials with some small projects in your own webpage portfolio. You’d be set.
Get experience on the keyboard while you study for those certs. That’s what’s going to help you.
A+ is not worth it.
SO it's pointless to get an IT bachelor's degree, is that what you're saying?

Would those 2 certs alongside small projects be enough to land me a decent gig in the next few years?

HovaNas

Pro
Daps
SO it's pointless to get an IT bachelor's degree, is that what you're saying?

Would those 2 certs alongside small projects be enough to land me a decent gig in the next few years?
Im just saying that a bachelors degree shouldn’t be the first thing you turn to if you’re trying to make a career change towards IT. The reason certifications were created was to combat that way of thinking. It’s a way to show what you’re certified in and then you should be able to demonstrate those skills when a keyboard is in front of you. My coworkers are really good within AWS services but they don’t have the solutions architect cert. I’m very confident that they could land another job without it and have the company pay them to test for it.
You can cover a lot more ground targeting certain certs but we’re all different people with different IT paths.

As for me, 6+ cert gang :salute:

Finished my associates in 2017. Didn’t get many calls and if I did they would always ask about certs. Got security+ that same year and that’s when the traveling IT offers started coming in. Bachelors degree started in 2019 and I’m getting done with it this November.
I’ve gone from help desk to system admin to AWS cloud engineering.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Is it possible to break into this industry at 23 with minimal knowledge?

I don’t care about being no six figure breh, just a decent salary eventually

Bro, you are at the perfect age to get on your grind. Best do it now then in your 30's. Not sure what your background is but get some good entry level certs and apply.
Agism is a thing so now is the perfect time.