IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just landed a cushy internal IT job with a amazing work enviroment. The best job I ever got and my first IT gig. Used to read pages of this shyt for insight. Thank you bro bros. We made it :wow:.My GF of 5 years was low-key losing interest in me for having dead end jobs and barely keeping the lights on. Now she worried about me replacing her .:blessed: Changed the whole dynamic of our relationship

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I was just putting my resume out there to see what results I would get to see what tweaks I needed to make. I applied for a job that was a 7 day contract help desk for a company that is helping a business get back to the office from remote. I have certs but the experience is what I feel held me back from more offers when I was trying to get into the field in the past, do you guys think it’s worth it for experience/resume purposes or not? I would just use PTO for that week.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I need some advice. I've been working as a SOC analyst for the last year (GSOC specifically) and I've been looking to move forward in the cyber security field. I have no certs though, so it's been a hang up for me when it comes to finding another job. So I got referred to Perscholas for free cert training by this recruiting company I'm going through.... The problem is though is I thought we would be training for Security+ for some reason, instead the course is for the CompTIA A+. Im willing to take the classes, and I'm thinking doing so may endear me more to the recruiting company too, but if I'm planning on pursuing a cyber security job and I already have entry level experience, isn't it a practically worthless cert for me to have?

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
So I need some advice. I've been working as a SOC analyst for the last year (GSOC specifically) and I've been looking to move forward in the cyber security field. I have no certs though, so it's been a hang up for me when it comes to finding another job. So I got referred to Perscholas for free cert training by this recruiting company I'm going through.... The problem is though is I thought we would be training for Security+ for some reason, instead the course is for the CompTIA A+. Im willing to take the classes, and I'm thinking doing so may endear me more to the recruiting company too, but if I'm planning on pursuing a cyber security job and I already have entry level experience, isn't it a practically worthless cert for me to have?

A+ pointless in your position
Sec+ you can get without classes and 2 weeks of reading the Comptia book

IMO get vendor specific tooling certifications (365 Defender/Sentinel, Splunk, any of the hardware networking companies, etc) to create a niche for yourself and then look at some of the other vendor neutral stuff OSCP/CEH/GIAC/CASP.

BlaxOps

Pro
Daps
I posted this in another thread, but I'm a recruiter, company basically make me go overboard to hire a brother. Resume is very solid and seems like a solid dude. Sr. Engineer Firewall, fully remote 140+ in the South smdh. Next month, I'm back on my grind
Nice pay for Sr. Firewall Engineer. Was it for Palo Alto management?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Yes. IMHO A+ is pretty pointless now a days unless you are working at like Geek Squad or a shop.

For general Help Desk it's overkill. I would go for the Network+.

Edit .

On another note. I'm going for the Security+ in like 3 weeks.

I'm just using Measureup practice tests and this:

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Is it possible to break into this industry at 23 with minimal knowledge?

I don’t care about being no six figure breh, just a decent salary eventually

HovaNas

Pro
Daps
Is it possible to break into this industry at 23 with minimal knowledge?

I don’t care about being no six figure breh, just a decent salary eventually

Depends on what you want to do after you break in. You don’t want to just stand there while alarms are going off. Get ya hands dirty and get light on your feet.
Learn a skill, test it out, try to scale it out and then automate it. Document it and move on to another skill.
Skills turn into skillsets.
Skillsets are bundles that can be presented in a portfolio.
Portfolio turns into a program. Manage a few programs and then you turn into managing lifecycles through migration, integration and sustainment.

:yeshrug: