Isiah Thomas on Bron: " Where did this man learn to play basketball"?

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
this whole thing is stupid.:snoop:
in nba nikkas are playing 82 games against another grown men. you learn as you go. :mjlol:

basketball is a simple game. and rookie bron had paul silas who was not a bad coach. :ehh:

big advantage of playing 3-4 years in college is learning the team game, and how to stay disciplined. but it really doesn't make you a better player. how many stars are from duke? :mjlol:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He'd get them fired. Lebron wants to do it his way or he leaves.
LeBron wants to do it "his way" because the first tenure in Cleveland he was surrounded by subpar talent and management/coaching staffs that didn't know how to create a system, so they just leaned on him to do everything.

And who did LeBron "get fired" anyway? David Blatt? The only other coach who got fired while LeBron was around was Paul Silas, and he didn't get fired because of LeBron. You idiots just run with these made up talking points.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"learn to play basketball" and "never played for a legendary coach" are 2 different things... Kobe didn't learn to play basketball under Phil, he taught himself these skills growing up
I'm sure having a damn pro player as a father helped though. :usure:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Lebron has a losing record in the finals what other great who also played under an arguably great coach has that stat? Besides back in the day when the celtics with russel won a hundred ships in a row...It may not be coincidence :manny:

Ben.

Heisenbrook
Daps
Reppin
Orlando, FL
IMO this is behavior developed from never having had a “legendary coach.” Bron has always had an asshat drawing up the Xs and Os so after a while breh probably developed that “do it all on my own” mentality. :manny:

Please remember that when Bron got to Miami he wanted Spo canned in favor of Pat Riley. So it’s not like he’s never been willing to listen to a coach, just one he respects. What’s even sadder is that in 16 years Spo is the best coach he’s ever had :mjlol:
I agree with the first part, Bron hasn't always been super controlling from the jump. His first 7 year stint with Cleveland he wasn't like what ppl see now and then when he went to Miami he didn't have that power but I think when he went back to CLE, he remembers how inept they were in his first 7 years and that's when it started.

Bron would have been willing to be coached by a great coach during the first 7 years.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Interesting point...however this whole narrative of MJ didn't win until Phil came along is kind of ambiguous, since PJ was NOT a HOF coach before coming to the Bulls. If I remember correctly it was his first coaching job in the NBA. And he went to LA because Shaq and Kobe were there, not the other way around. Pop was damn near fired early in his career and only got "legendary" status later in the 2000s. Isiah is kind of talking as if players seeked these established HOF coaches when that wasn't really the case. Still the point remains that Lebron really developped without all these great basketball minds around him, except in Miami.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
In all honestly....Zeke’s point rings out......

NO ONE ELSE has done more with less....Brady/belli, Kobe/Phil Montana/Walsh, Duncan/pop, Jordan/Dean/Phil, Kareem/Wooden(etc,etc)........never looked at it that way....but it’s undeniable

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Curry is a Phenomenon too:manny:

Yeah my comment was more intended as sarcasm. Curry is a once-in-a-lifetime player.

This idea gives a little too much credit to the coaches.

For example, Jordan and Kobe already had a killer instinct long before Phil Jackson got to them.

Kobe definitely was already taking over games when Del Harris was coaching the Lakers.

19 year old Kobe taking over even with a prime Gary Payton guarding him plenty:

I think at the end of the day, veteran teammates, especially ones who have had good careers and some play-off success correlate more to younger players becoming successful than coaches do. They're the ones that set the example day in and day out. Those are the players that they watched on TV during the play-offs when trying to get into the league.

When they were younger in their careers:
Jordan: George Gervin
Curry: Barbarosa, Iggy
Kobe: Shaq, Horry
Lebron: Eric Snow, Tony Battie

For example, Lebron growing up definitely watched the NBA play-offs and probably saw Eric Snow a ton. Well, now Eric Snow is right there to get some answers from and see the kind of work ethic it took to get to the Finals. Maybe even can ask how Iverson used to get prepared.

A lot of high potential young players never get veteran locker room guys around them unfortunately, because those guys want to be on teams trying to win.

Last edited: