Is Travis Kelce an all time great Tight End?

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
:mjtf:.

I've already said Kelce is an all-time great, but this is not a good post from you. You're smarter than this.

Are you telling me it's kind of ridiculous to factor in running for Lamar Jackson as well?

If we go back to the 2018 season, Gronk was dominant in the run game against the Chargers, then became a passing threat in the Chiefs and Rams games. Sony Michel had a massive day in part to Gronk and his blocking. You don't have to carry an extra OL on the team when you have him, and when he's out there, you don't know if it's a run or a pass, unlike when other TE's are there.:manny:.

I don't give a shyt. :unimpressed:

If you had 150+ yards and 3 TDs then I don't give a fukk if you gave up 2 sacks and 3 TFLs. Putting points on the board is the great equalizer.

BucciMane

Kristina Schulman Bro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Real Titletown
I don't give a shyt. :unimpressed:

If you had 150+ yards and 3 TDs then I don't give a fukk if you gave up 2 sacks and 3 TFLs. Putting points on the board is the great equalizer.

That's not what you said, and now you're playing this stupid game.:hhh:.

You said you don't factor in blocking. How can you not factor that in if a Gronk team is struggling in a passing game, yet can run it because of him? How can you say that if the Chiefs are struggling passing, but can't run because of a blocking liability that blocking doesn't matter.:dead:.

I'm not talking about Kelce being a detriment to his team because of a lack of blocking. I'm saying that a TE's ability to be able to block should absolutely factor in. Let's say it's a snowy January, and conditions for passing are terrible. You're fine with a TE that can't block (not saying Kelce can't) over one that is elite? You don't have to value it as much as receiving, but for a TE, it's a big part.:manny:.

Last edited:

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
I think you answered your own question OP. Of course he's one of the all-time great TEs. No less than top 20.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
That's not what you said, and now you're playing this stupid game.:hhh:.

You said you don't factor in blocking. How can you not factor that in if a Gronk team is struggling in a passing game, yet can run it because of him? How can you say that if the Chiefs are struggling passing, but can't run because of a blocking liability that blocking doesn't matter.:dead:.

I'm not talking about Kelce being a detriment to his team because of a lack of blocking. I'm saying that a TE's ability to be able to block should absolutely factor in. Let's say it's a snowy January, and conditions for passing are terrible. You're fine with a TE that can't block (not saying Kelce can't) over one that is elite? You don't have to value it as much as receiving, but for a TE, it's a big part.:manny:.

I said what I meant the first time. If you're one of the most productive receiving TEs ever but a mediocre blocker, then that doesn't make you less valuable than a all time great blocking TE whose average or subpar in the receiving game. Why? Because the objective is to put points on the board.

BucciMane

Kristina Schulman Bro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Real Titletown
I said what I meant the first time. If you're one of the most productive receiving TEs ever but a mediocre blocker, then that doesn't make you less valuable than a all time great blocking TE whose average or subpar in the receiving game. Why? Because the objective is to put points on the board.

That is not what you said.:dwillhuh:.

You're now throwing that caveat in that the TE is that is one of the most productive blockers and is average or subpar in the passing game. This would be a situation of both players being elite in the passing game and one being elite at blocking. You never said anything about the elite blocking TE being subpar in the passing game.:usure:.

No one is arguing that blocking is more important than receiving for a TE. When talking about two excellent pass receiving TE's, you can't discount blocking and other factors. You just came up with the subpar in the passing game caveat just now.:stopitslime:.

Edit: Not going to go back and forth on this as the goal posts have now been moved, or you were not clear at all with your original statement.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
To me it's Gronk Tony G Kelce Kittle and Gates as the 3 most talented tight ends that I have witnessed play. With a couple more of his usual years though Kelce can pass up the 2 in front of him to me.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Easily the best in the game and the only current TE who could get to 1000 catches and 10,000 yards.

I think people aslo underestimate how big Kelce is cause I constantly see defenders try to arm tackle him or try to go up top on him. Dude is 6"5 240. If you don't tackle him low you probably not tackling him...

For all the talk about how big and strong Gronk is...Kelce is pretty much the same size as Gronk...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m not saying y’all are spitting hot takes, and I agree Kelce and Kittles and Gronk are hall of famers…but this position has changed so much in the last 10 years it’s almost unfair to compare legends. Tight ends have benefited probably the most from the offensive rule changes in the NFL and the modern defensive schemes and athleticism.
Why is Kittles being thrown amongst the all-time TE greats already :dwillhuh: