Is there anything more surreal and weird then a wake?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Buncha a cats choppin it up sittin around a dead body :wtf:

Twisted part is you got a few friends and family sitting in the front grieving while everyone else laughing and joking like its a cookout not even acknowledging we at a wake and theres a dead ass body whitin feet of us :wtf:

Is this shyt beyond strange to any of you nikkas?

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
yeah, always thought this.

Even weirder when they sit and talk to and feel the body. Adjusting clothes and shyt. Never got that. Matter of fact, I'm not a funeral/ wake dude in the least bit.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
i went to my God Brother's grand father's wake about a month ago. the thing that fukked me up the most was that he stayed right next door to us my entire life and just like that... he was dead. shyt threw me off. couldnt believe Mr. JJ was dead.

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
I had a chance to go to a wake years ago. I couldn't do it. People sitting around a dead body like it's all good just isn't a place I want to be :sadcam:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Yeah. Wakes are a bit eerie to me as well. Mortuaries are creepy all together. They have this weird/old furniture smell. Wakes are damn near worse than the funeral. My nygga murdered a few yrs back and the wake was absolutely horrble, his moms,aunties and grandma were screamin and crying histerically (understandably). And at the same time hella random people were just standin around chillin, just starin at the body and walkin in and out the mortuary takin cig breaks and drinkin liquor. Shyyt was mad weird.:aicmon:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
ive only been to 2 wakes/viewings in my life..my old babysitter/neighbor when i was 11..but then alot of the kids from the neighborhood were there and we were running around and whatnot so i didnt understand the gravity of the situation plus i thought it was weird on how she looked

the next one was 3 months ago when my ex passed...seeing her in that state i broke down immediately...tore me apart emotionally :to:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I agree. I hate it.

Cremate me. and spend the money. have a cookout after and everyone laugh and joke.

Dont cry..please dont.

matterfact, imma write my death wishes tonight :to:

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember going to my grandma's showing when I was young. She didn't even look like her anymore with all the shyt they do to the body. It really tripped me out. I haven't been to another since, I refuse to go.

I'm not trying to get all made up when I die, give me a Tibetan Sky Burial

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
I remember going to my grandma's showing when I was young. She didn't even look like her anymore with all the shyt they do to the body. It really tripped me out. I haven't been to another since, I refuse to go.

I'm not trying to get all made up when I die, give me a Tibetan Sky Burial

Word. I went to my uncle's a long time ago, and he looked NOTHING like how I remembered him. My mother had been down south to see him right before he passed; in fact, he passed when she was on her way back to NY. So we went down for the funeral; I walked into the room where a body was, and I saw this strange black dude. I walked out thinking I was in the wrong room. My moms was like, "where you going? that's him." I was like :usure:. The weird part came when my cousins started taking pictures with him in the casket, leaning all close to the face and everything. I was like :merchant: then I kinda was like :manny:; let em grieve how they grieve.

Daps
I had a chance to go to a wake years ago. I couldn't do it. People sitting around a dead body like it's all good just isn't a place I want to be :sadcam:

What's not all good though?

I mean most people are there to pay their respects. The man has been dead for days and has been prepped.

The talking to the body thing was never for me though. But the socializing is a way to just remember the man who passed or remember that this guy brought these people together

I went to the wake of a 23 year old kid who died of cancer last year, that was probably the worst one. I also went to the wake of my prom date.

I guess I don't put as much into it as you guys

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
What's not all good though?

I mean most people are there to pay their respects. The man has been dead for days and has been prepped.

The talking to the body thing was never for me though. But the socializing is a way to just remember the man who passed or remember that this guy brought these people together

I went to the wake of a 23 year old kid who died of cancer last year, that was probably the worst one. I also went to the wake of my prom date.

I guess I don't put as much into it as you guys
It just creeps me out. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a "wake" except for the name. Why is it called a "wake" when the person that you are there to see isn't "waking" up? It's an oxymoron in the purest sense, but I know that it's a tradition. I don't mind a "wake" but I would rather pay my last respects at the funeral.

Daps
It just creeps me out. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a "wake" except for the name. Why is it called a "wake" when the person that you are there to see isn't "waking" up? It's an oxymoron in the purest sense, but I know that it's a tradition. I don't mind a "wake" but I would rather pay my last respects at the funeral.

I think it's because people look it as "Wake"ing up to the afterlife.

I don't know, but that seems reasonable

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
I dont go to Wakes. If I can avoid..I won't go to the burials either. Wakes just odd....I'm not into viewing the body, even during the funeral I do a glance and pass on by. I can sit there and just observe a body..its a shell of the person. And I dont do burials...cuz the reality always hits hard when they go in the ground.

Daps
I think a lot of yall saying "I don't do wakes" are actually just lazy.

I always find it as a chore, but really that is your last respects to this person. I know they passed and all but that's the last time you can show you cared for that person. You have to suck it up and go.

I find it odd so many grown men are shook by a body.