Is there any more innovation in gaming?

Innovation! Innovation! I thought it was the trash!

• Ain't ish changed, cept the number of dots on the display. Kinda strange, I still play too...

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis... Man, back then I could never picture this. Its the ish!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
VR/3D + Haptics is the next frontier. Basically, once VR looks just as good as traditional games look now and the UX is much better then we'll be there.

But we haven't even reached the pinnacle of traditional gaming yet. Imagine GTA style games where you can enter EVERY building, or any NPC can trigger missions. Stuff like that.

With procedural generation being pretty easy to do now, it won't be long before someone literally creates like a 1:500 scale of America and now the WHOLE country is a map where its all interactable and populated by players and NPCs.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
I mean, you’re kind of contradicting yourself here. Those Nintendo innovations that ‘created entirely different’ experiences lasted for one generation. You can’t demand innovation and then handwave off something new as ‘beta testing’ thats essentially what all new hardware or gameplay innovation is going to feel like.

The motion controls that you loved from the wii and Wii U games killed an entire generation of backawards compatibility, those games are stuck dead on a gimmick from the past. That ‘gimmick’ which has lead to motion controls like gyro and implementation in VR, technology scales. The same way it did with the rumble paks, and analog sticks, etc.

VR isn’t going to take over gaming but if you want something that feels new and different from what we are getting on flat screen gaming, thats where you need to be
Nintendo's hardware still has touch and motion controls. What are you talking about?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
You just don’t like gaming anymore. We get these threads every month at this point. It’s ok to grow out of things.
When are you going to grow out of spamming forums?

You had 32k posts when I got bushed about 70ish days ago.

You are now at 39k posts :what:

You are 36 years old, how do you have 7k posts in 70 days :dwillhuh:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
i heard a quote recently which i will butcher something like "an artist who creates from limitations is killed by freedom"

it was more so being applied to music but is relevant to game making as well. we can seemingly do anything. less limitations than before but it actually leading to less creativity. thus the focus of shiny shyt. frame rates and all the tech spec sheet whoring as opposed to the real innovative aspects in gaming.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
The concept of just making things fun is dead to most of the major publishers. Everyone wants a major blockbuster with extra services for extra money.

There's still stuff out there, but much like hip-hop you gotta go past the top mainstream layer.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The last time I had a :gladbron: moment in videogames, it was in VR.

This is what everyone says about VR, like Alyx, RE7, and Astrobot, etc. people say its such a gamer changer, im very excited to finally get into it as someone who has never even used shytty VR devices like the samsung stuff.

I understand that its also very expensive for most people and not worth the novelty for something you’re probably not gonna play around the clock. I’m just treating it as a second system, like my switch.