Is there any more innovation in gaming?

Innovation! Innovation! I thought it was the trash!

• Ain't ish changed, cept the number of dots on the display. Kinda strange, I still play too...

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis... Man, back then I could never picture this. Its the ish!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
What I'm saying is that there may be an immense leap in tech when it comes to moving pixels but when you get down to it whats under the hood now is nigh on identical to two decades ago.

Nobody seems to be bugged out by this but to me it was like picking up a controller for a spin and thinking "Where's the innovation?". Its all style evolution and F the substance as the barebone mechanics in most cases are exactly the same as they were then.

How the hell have people been playing so long and not noticed the wackness of playing quite literally the same game with the same mechanics, year out, year in just with some new graphics?

I guess I'm just surprised people are so easily amused and willing to accept zero innovation in order to escape boredom for something only slightly less stale. I mean, if you enjoy it, do you.

I'm not dissing, just wondering.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What I'm saying is that there may be an immense leap in tech when it comes to moving pixels but when you get down to it whats under the hood now is nigh on identical to two decades ago.

Nobody seems to be bugged out by this but to me it was like picking up a controller for a spin and thinking "Where's the innovation?". Its all style evolution and F the substance as the barebone mechanics in most cases are exactly the same as they were then.

How the hell have people been playing so long and not noticed the wackness of playing quite literally the same game with the same mechanics, year out, year in just with some new graphics?

I guess I'm just surprised people are so easily amused and willing to accept zero innovation in order to escape boredom for something only slightly less stale. I mean, if you enjoy it, do you. I'm not dissing, just wondering.

You just don’t like gaming anymore. We get these threads every month at this point. It’s ok to grow out of things.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
You just don’t like gaming anymore. We get these threads every month at this point. It’s ok to grow out of things.

Do you agree or disagree with the points I've actually raised about the underlying mechanics and lack of progress outside graphics, though?

I get it that fun is fun otherwise you wouldn't do it but was just so surprised at how stale it all seems due to the lack of innovation that people don't seem to question and are happy to accept.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Do you agree or disagree with the points I've actually raised about the underlying mechanics and lack of progress outside graphics, though?

I get it that fun is fun otherwise you wouldn't do it but was just so surprised at how stale it all seems due to the lack of innovation that people don't seem to question and are happy to accept.
We disagree. Now take your old ass outta here with this unoriginal, non-innovative, stale ass thread topic.:camby:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I mean you used GTA San Andreas as one of your examples, thats just dusty talk. That game wasn’t even that innovative, it was just a bigger in scope version of GTA3 and Vice City

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
I mean you used GTA San Andreas as one of your examples, thats just dusty talk. That game wasn’t even that innovative, it was just a bigger in scope version of GTA3 and Vice City

And yet it seems to be generally accepted as the best which proves what I said about innovation being absent and gameplay taking a backseat to graphics/storytelling.

Its cool, enjoy your stepped on product.

you obviously haven't played Superhot

I haven't but VR does seem like it might restore the feeling whilst resurrecting the buildings that stagnation and recycling crushed. In the interim its more pixels on old engines. Apparently saying that makes people catch feelings.

full

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Also, just to clarify for those that don't get it:

I'm not dissing anyones passion for gaming. Just generally wondering after checking it after a hiatus from playing and wondering what y'all thought about the state of the game at this moment as I genuinely expected a lot more progress than was on display.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
You gotta look in the right places, its not as widespread as it used to be, shyt used to be the space race when it came to companies pushing the industry forward.

Nowadays I think the FMV games like Immortality are pretty innovative and they're getting better with time. (I could name others but dont want to spoil them). VR maybe but its been too long that these products have been on the market and nothing has really caught on. Although that game Before Your Eyes was decent.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I think AI will push gaming further than VR.

The feeling of a true living world where outcomes are not canned. :wow:

Imagine not being able to go online for walk through :blessed: