Is there any more innovation in gaming?

Innovation! Innovation! I thought it was the trash!

• Ain't ish changed, cept the number of dots on the display. Kinda strange, I still play too...

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis... Man, back then I could never picture this. Its the ish!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Generally wondering what the true playaz think because to me its the same old same old with a new lick of pixels and some shiny things thrown in and has been for absolutely ages. The underlying mechanics are nigh on identical to what they've been for a decade. At least.

Maybe thats the price of being in it since the giddy up when it was all about innovation and now lanes are made, paved, well lit and all traffic is funneled. That and ballooning dev costs, design by committee and trying not to offend anyone whilst appealing to everyone means that hardcore niche day is done.

pong.gif

Just wondering what you lot think about this and if you're playing just to play because you always did or have you found yourself easing off a bit because it simply doesn't hit like it did when you know its the same old girl in a new dress because the masquerade is over and you know each and every inch, bump and view of the skins from all angles:

Sometimes you need fresh dimes in a new rotation because the game gets stale real quick without innovation... What do you think?

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
anything that can be done in 3D gaming , has been done...you can only polish it and make it better.

VR is where you go for new innovations .

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
anything that can be done in 3D gaming , has been done...you can only polish it and make it better.

Mostly this.

But really doh, why does it matter. No ideas original. It's not what you do, it's how it's done.

Is there much innovation in any entertainment media really? Only once in a blue moon, maybe. It's fine tho. Everything doesn't have to be novel to be experienced and not everything novel needs to be experienced.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps

Everyone says this but things that Nintendo did like Wii remote and 3/DS offered totally different experiences and modes of play beyond pushing more pixels. I don't think VR displays are at the level of fidelity needed yet nor is the tech at the point of a true wearable for it to be the next thing as people are still paid Beta testing new tech in order to try the cutting edge.

Mostly this.

But really doh, why does it matter. No ideas original. It's not what you do, it's how it's done.

Is there much innovation in any entertainment media really? Only once in a blue moon, maybe. It's fine tho. Everything doesn't have to be novel to be experienced and not everything novel needs to be experienced.

I can see what you're saying but then I'm also selective and would rather devote my attention to something fresh and innovative instead of treading water, just because. I made the thread as I haven't gamed for a minute and noticed this happening back when and found it so boring because that which is underneath is identical to what it was previously.

I know a lot of folk don't care and cool, for them thats good. Not for me though. Some people will just eat junk food, consume trash shows and reality TV binge watch too.

Also another aspect was how it became all about a cinematic experience with bits of gameplay stringing together the narrative as opposed to just pure fun. I blame the death of arcades for this as that was me in my gaming element as it was real, visceral and all about skill.

That said I do get the feeling the next big thing is going to some kind of social VR/AR thing to restore the feeling that removes gaming from the TV and generates this:

But the tech level isn't quite there yet as mentioned.

I could go in on achievements and what the really represent but I'm quite certain it would hurt a lot of peoples feelings as they already realize this and don't want to hear it. I stopped gaming just before that hit.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Everyone says this but things that Nintendo did like Wii remote and 3/DS offered totally different experiences and modes of play beyond pushing more pixels. I don't think VR displays are at the level of fidelity needed yet nor is the tech at the point of a true wearable for it to be the next thing as people are still paid Beta testing new tech in order to try the cutting edge.

I mean, you’re kind of contradicting yourself here. Those Nintendo innovations that ‘created entirely different’ experiences lasted for one generation. You can’t demand innovation and then handwave off something new as ‘beta testing’ thats essentially what all new hardware or gameplay innovation is going to feel like.

The motion controls that you loved from the wii and Wii U games killed an entire generation of backawards compatibility, those games are stuck dead on a gimmick from the past. That ‘gimmick’ which has lead to motion controls like gyro and implementation in VR, technology scales. The same way it did with the rumble paks, and analog sticks, etc.

VR isn’t going to take over gaming but if you want something that feels new and different from what we are getting on flat screen gaming, thats where you need to be

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Maybe they hit a roadblock like movies where there's not much else you can do to push forward except produce quality entertainment. However, I think we've had some innovations by taking certain genres to a new level. I am not the biggest fan of them, but I feel like roguelike games were a major innovation, and the same with battle royale. I think gameplay wise if you can tweak certain genres and make it your own then there can be some innovation.

I wonder if this current wave of AI tech can take gaming to a new level.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

I can see what you're saying but then I'm also selective and would rather devote my attention to something fresh and innovative instead of treading water, just because. I made the thread as I haven't gamed for a minute and noticed this happening back when and found it so boring because that which is underneath is identical to what it was previously.

I know a lot of folk don't care and cool, for them thats good. Not for me though. Some people will just eat junk food, consume trash shows and reality TV binge watch too.

Also another aspect was how it became all about a cinematic experience with bits of gameplay stringing together the narrative as opposed to just pure fun. I blame the death of arcades for this as that was me in my gaming element as it was real, visceral and all about skill.

That said I do get the feeling the next big thing is going to some kind of social VR/AR thing to restore the feeling that removes gaming from the TV and generates this:

But the tech level isn't quite there yet as mentioned.

I could go in on achievements and what the really represent but I'm quite certain it would hurt a lot of peoples feelings as they already realize this and don't want to hear it. I stopped gaming just before that hit.

Nah, you've just out grown gaming.

Also, correlating this faux "complacency" in gaming with junk food is a bad take and wack. Most folks ain't outchea eating a new dishes every single day, but can still be eating gourmet food on a daily, even if it's with some of the same ingredients, tempered differently. But you do, fool.

Last edited:

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
IMO new IPs and better storytelling are the answer
Its only so much you can reinvent the wheel
That's why people that only want bare bones gameplay boggle my mind

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Is any modern GTA better than San Andreas or are they rehashing that title in various ways whilst not being anywhere near as game changing.

May be shinier, have online or DLC but do they surpass the mark it set in your opinion? Is there a relative progression and evolution or are the bones virtually identical with some new bits and bobs thrown on top in higher resolution?

Are most of the games your playing in 23 the same as 22 which were the same as 21? Just the suffix changes and some new quality of life features but otherwise a rerun/retread/redux in full effect.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Nope and the consumers are getting fukked big time by these corporations.

Bruv, this is exactly how it looked to me from a detached perspective but the fiends don't realize the product has been cut and just keep on reing up for the next hit as its better than withdrawal.

I could argue this is happening across the board because couture now isn't what it was back when. Neither are fragrances and so many other aspects as it seems the entire retail chain has been downgraded as they know people will just accept whats given without question. Look at food and its nutrition, durability of tech. Anything. Its all been decimated in that respect.

Most people are not very discerning so they know they can get away with little effort and fuel the constant need to reup by pushing sub par product.