Is SonicFox the greatest fighting game player ever?

MikeOck

Banned
Daps
Currently I think only Justin Wong, Tokido and maybe Daigo can compare. I hear there were some greats from back in the pre internet days like Kuroda who legend has it once won a tournament using random select. Anyone you think holds a candle to Sonic?

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Nah, if he dominated in Street Fighter then he could take the crown.

Street Fighter still has the largest talent pool as far as fighters go.

The netherrealm games don’t really have a large FGC audience and lose support after two years.

DBZ is relatively new and him and Go1 still going back and forth.

Last edited:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive

The netherrealm games don’t really have a large FGC audience and lose support after two years.

DBZ is still relatively new and him and Go1 still going back and forth.

This he got his ass thoroughly handed to him in season 1 of SFV. he thought FANG was gonna let him get away with some cheese shyt like in MKX.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
This he got his ass thoroughly handed to him in season 1 of SFV. he thought FANG was gonna let him get away with some cheese shyt like in MKX.
Is looking for broken characters skill?

MikeOck

Banned
Daps
I only know him for mortal Kombat What else does he dominate
Injustice, Skullgirls, DBFZ and he's dominating the Soul Calibur 6 pre release. He was also getting super good in MVC, taking on legends like Fchamp but it died in tournaments and he dropped it for DBFZ

MikeOck

Banned
Daps

DBZ is relatively new and him and Go1 still going back and forth.

If he's gonna take on Street Fighter he would need to commit 100% of his time to it. Makes sense for him to wipe the floor first with NRS and anime games first for the money, then once he's made that FU money, he could dedicate a couple of years to winning a stacked street fighter premier, which would cement him as the absolute best in my book

MikeOck

Banned
Daps
Is looking for broken characters skill?
That's just how the game goes in any competitive sport: look for broken bullshyt and abuse it to get the victory. Rinse and repeat once your current strat gets figured out and if the playing field is truly even then it's a battle of who can keep it together mentally

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
He's the GOAT imo (shoutout Daigo & Tokido tho) but being young, black, gay & a furry he won't get his dues

Dude is currently #1 in DBFZ, Injustice, Mortal Kombat & Skullgirls. Placed 2nd in his first tournament playing Soul Calibur against seasoned vets. His CVs so stacked and he's still in his early 20s, crazy shyt

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Over all he's in the running, the post arcade and current online/youtube generation is weird. yes games are easier now, but they are also accessible to way more people and information is spread negative day one release.

There was a time during the arcade era that it took months for information to travel, it went from japan, to the US to the east or west coast then spread slowly from there. Being the best in your local area was all that mattered. The competition was a much smaller pool (but dedicated) and the games were harder with no practice mode.

To be good in that era you really had to be naturally good and get and sit on information and tech. Steel sharpen steel and it wasn't much steel to go around.

However the japanese always had a bigger and stronger network with there arcades and how dense the location was, so information got passed around quicker and they grew stronger than most american players.

So players like daigo and Tokido and other japanese top tier players kind of had a jump start

Over all I think, Sonicfox and justin wong are over all the greatest fighting game players of all time.

Until someone can win every single tournament they go to for almost a decade straight in one of the most aggressive and "cheap" games ever made. Its going to be hard for me to not place him at the top....

JW also plays all games well, I remember practicing Kof 11 for months then playing him in casuals and asking him how long he'd be playing and he said oh he does play the game really but likes the way the characters he plays looked... It was one of the most defeating moments. Like this dude doesn't even play really and is WAY better than me, and I've been playing grinding and learning the game inside out lol:mjlol:

:mjcry:

Sonic fox is as consistent as JW but the competition he faces is WAY better than what JW did when he was running things. Which makes me want to give the title him.

Sonic fox is good at everything he places and places top if not wins it, just recently he played soul calibur 6 for the 1st time and got 2nd at a pre release tournament again a long time vet of SC...not that he's a slouch at SC he played 5 and was good. he also played DOA/skull girls and a ton of other random games.

I don't really care for him but he's a kid doing weird kid things.:picard::scust:

his skill is undeniable though

TLDR

Justin Wong by a hair then Sonic fox

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I agree with everything you wrote but this. Wong has never been the man for a prolonged period, he definitely gets props on the longevity stakes but can't say he's struck fear in players hearts. Fox is the only American who gives the business to Asians with regards to DBFZ, Netherealm have routinely nerfed/ruined midtier characters in both MK & IJ solely because of him. Wong's a great, his MvC run was legendary, but he's not seeing Daigo or Tokido let alone Fox.
I'll stop because this is a whole bunch of typing and it's really not that deep, respect your opinion :salute:

MikeOck

Banned
Daps
Over all he's in the running, the post arcade and current online/youtube generation is weird. yes games are easier now, but they are also accessible to way more people and information is spread negative day one release.

There was a time during the arcade era that it took months for information to travel, it went from japan, to the US to the east or west coast then spread slowly from there. Being the best in your local area was all that mattered. The competition was a much smaller pool (but dedicated) and the games were harder with no practice mode.

To be good in that era you really had to be naturally good and get and sit on information and tech. Steel sharpen steel and it wasn't much steel to go around.

However the japanese always had a bigger and stronger network with there arcades and how dense the location was, so information got passed around quicker and they grew stronger than most american players.

So players like daigo and Tokido and other japanese top tier players kind of had a jump start

Over all I think, Sonicfox and justin wong are over all the greatest fighting game players of all time.

Until someone can win every single tournament they go to for almost a decade straight in one of the most aggressive and "cheap" games ever made. Its going to be hard for me to not place him at the top....

JW also plays all games well, I remember practicing Kof 11 for months then playing him in casuals and asking him how long he'd be playing and he said oh he does play the game really but likes the way the characters he plays looked... It was one of the most defeating moments. Like this dude doesn't even play really and is WAY better than me, and I've been playing grinding and learning the game inside out lol:mjlol:

:mjcry:

Sonic fox is as consistent as JW but the competition he faces is WAY better than what JW did when he was running things. Which makes me want to give the title him.

Sonic fox is good at everything he places and places top if not wins it, just recently he played soul calibur 6 for the 1st time and got 2nd at a pre release tournament again a long time vet of SC...not that he's a slouch at SC he played 5 and was good. he also played DOA/skull girls and a ton of other random games.

I don't really care for him but he's a kid doing weird kid things.:picard::scust:

his skill is undeniable though

TLDR

You seem to have good knowledge of the pre internet scene. Guys from that era swear kuroda was the greatest 3rd strike player ever. You know about him?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You seem to have good knowledge of the pre internet scene. Guys from that era swear kuroda was the greatest 3rd strike player ever. You know about him?
Yeah and his fall to disgrace :francis:

But he pretty much is, like over all he was THE BEST 3s player. Going random select at tournaments and winning, beating other top players casually.. OCV'in whole teams no problem.