Is self-checkout a marketing strategy

Daps
Obviously they put self checkout in so they dont have to pay cashiers. But seeing as everyone steals from it, is it some next level marketing strategy?

I know that a lot of times I look forward to shopping at walmart cause I know I can steal a gang of shyt with no problem. So maybe its a way of incentivizing people to go shop there that wouldn't have otherwise :ohhh:

Daps
No. It's all about not paying cashiers and maximizing on profit.:francis:
I know thats the main reason, but the fact its so easy to steal from it and they dont make any effort to stop people makes me think it could be a side benefit.

Like if you choosin to go grocery shopping and one place got self checkout and the other one doesnt, you gonna pick the self checkout one so you can lower you bill

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I know thats the main reason, but the fact its so easy to steal from it and they dont make any effort to stop people makes me think it could be a side benefit.

Like if you choosin to go grocery shopping and one place got self checkout and the other one doesnt, you gonna pick the self checkout one so you can lower you bill
Most people are too paroniod to steal at the self checkout. They assume there is somebody watching. also i imagine the amount of money they save in payroll covers the cost of stolen pepsi.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange

Not really. I don't think it's any easier. Just different. A certain amount of shrink (theft) is already accounted for. They know that people are going to steal. A lot of self checkout lanes also have cameras now. If anything, it might be easier to steal from a staffed lane and put the stuff under your coat, purse or whatever in the cart and pretend like you forgot.

colicolicoli

Droid Gang
Daps
Reppin
LBC
I like having fresh flowers in my house at all times. I regularly leave the self checkout lane without scanning them. I think it's mostly petty theft like that happening in the self checkout lanes so it still beating the cost of hiring employees.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I used self checkout all the time when I use to go inside Walmart and Kroger..but I do Pick up from the Grocery App now. Me going inside amongst common everyday trash is dead.