Is Karl Malone underrated?

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Karl is a terrible human being. We already know that. But that's seeped into how people talk about his career. Two MVP trophies and the most all-NBA selections in history (tied with Kobe in less seasons :mjpls:) Second most points ever. Oldest player to record a triple double. Why do we never talk about Karl in top 10 or top 15 lists?

Old heads who watched 80's Karl please enlighten us.

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
when he retired he was considered the greatest PF ever by a lot of people. no championships obviously is what hurts his legacy. I think he made the playoffs almost every year he played too. Jazz were like the Spurs without the rings

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Among all PFs Ive seen play in their prime...Gotta be top 5 or near it. He was never one of my favorite players to watch but you cant deny the mans game no matter how boring to watch he could be at times.

I still argue that Tim Duncan is a Center in my book so among PF's I've seen in their primes I'd say my list would be (no particular order) Barkley, Webber, Kemp, Garnett, Norwitski, Wallace (Rasheed), and Malone.
Are we counting Jermaine Oneal as a C or PF?

Anyway, only ones in that list i dont feel comfortable taking over Malone is probably Garnett. I like Garnett's game better but i'd pick Malone over him.

Jury is still out on Aldridge, Bosh, Griffin and the others

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Karl is a terrible human being. We already know that. But that's seeped into how people talk about his career. Two MVP trophies and the most all-NBA selections in history (tied with Kobe in less seasons :mjpls:) Second most points ever. Oldest player to record a triple double. Why do we never talk about Karl in top 10 or top 15 lists?

Old heads who watched 80's Karl please enlighten us.

Yes, he's underrated.

But let's talk about something else..two MVPs? How many of those were really MJ's and Shaq's? :mjpls::shaq2:

Is Karl Malone overrated at the same time as being underrated? :lupe:

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
Lack of rings, playing for Utah, and being negatively controversial seems to make people diminish your accomplishments.

Actually, it kind of feels like almost everyone from that Jordan era who didn't make a transition to TV is getting their accomplishments phased out. Barkley and Reggie Miller get a little love, but it's almost as if Malone, Stockton, Ewing, and Dominique never played.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Players without titles became underrated as the years go on, particularly in this era where everyone is obsessed with who won as the man and ranking individual players over different generations.

Last edited: