Is Jayson Tatum the new Kobe in the league?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
PG was never a fukking “legit” MVP canidate :dead:

Ive never seen somebody so obsessed with player awards & placements for such awards. Because PG finished 3rd in MVP voting in a weak year, he was a legit MVP candidate according to this fool. Nobody is taking PG at his best over Tatum the last two years. Smh.

Paul George at his best isnt 3/4 as good as Tatum is now. :dead:

✋️ talking about basketball

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Tatum only plays like Kobe in the post and slightly with the off balance mid range shots. I think people forget how athletic and strong Kobe was at Tatums current age.

I think he was 23 here

Tatum doesn't have the same combination of speed, foorwork, ball handling, fluid movement or vertical leap as Frobe.

Comparing him to young Paul George playing style is a little more accurate even though PG could never be considered the best player on a championship team and Tatum is already there at age 24.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Nearly every single Kobe comparison ends coming up short.

Kobe was an insane blend of savant learning ability, fluidity/agility/body-control/flexibility, coordination, muscle memory and killer instinct.

Kobe/Jordan were 6'4.x without shoes and innately that gave them problems for smaller guards (too big) and taller wings (too quick/agile/fluid). They were straight up match-up problems. Literally the only way to guard them reliably is with another similar guard built the same way, which are are pure rarity to find - they cannot be too small or too tall and they must be both quick and strong while having a high defensive IQ.

Tatum doen't really have the privilege of having these innate mismatches because he's roughly the same size as most players at his position. Skilled? Absolutely. However, not an intrinsic match-up problem night-in and night-out.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Tatum is America’s best chance at winning the NBA MVP trophy.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Y'all gotta stop treating past athletes like unassailable gods. Kobe's 2nd half of 2006 Game 7 against the Suns was probably the most famous example of "defeated athlete giving up on the series" in modern NBA history. Kobe was a very aggressive shooter but once you get past the hype he was still a human just like all the other players.

1998 WCF Game 4
1999 WCSF Game 4
2003 WCSF Game 6
2004 Finals Game 5
entre 2005 season
2006 First Round Game 7
2008 Finals Game 6
2011 WCSF Game 4

Updating the coli is pointless if garbage shyt like this is still allowed.

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I swear y’all making these next Kobe threads just to up them when players start losing/playing like ass lol
If the player wins, they credit the win to Kobe. If the players loses, they claim Kobe is so much better than anyone playing today. It’s obsessive and weird.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It'll remain to be seen. He's only in Y5 and there's a comp here that makes sense. Y5 Kobe was ascending as well and wasn't the polished player he'd become later...

He was certainly more athletic than Tatum and probably a more aggressive on-ball defender too, but I get the comps of Y5 Tatum to Y5 Kobe. I always said Tatum was Paul George, a Famer in his own right. He may be PG with a slightly higher ceiling, I don't know if that's quite Kobe but the comp isn't crazy...
Paul George has always been the best comp for Tatum, it’s just not a big/sexy enough name for mainstream and a lot of people to use. Tatum may very well end up being better than PG, and I’m sure there’s some that already think he is.