Is Jayson Tatum the new Kobe in the league?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
It'll remain to be seen. He's only in Y5 and there's a comp here that makes sense. Y5 Kobe was ascending as well and wasn't the polished player he'd become later...

He was certainly more athletic than Tatum and probably a more aggressive on-ball defender too, but I get the comps of Y5 Tatum to Y5 Kobe. I always said Tatum was Paul George, a Famer in his own right. He may be PG with a slightly higher ceiling, I don't know if that's quite Kobe but the comp isn't crazy...

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
At JT's age, Kobe was Frobe, and I don't see that when I watch JT. He has a lot of room to grow and he's objectively taken a step forward (you can almost legitimately see the game slowing down for him) but I don't believe he's the heir to Kobe Bryant -- now or five years from now -- and that's cool, too. He has a few tricks from Kobe in his bag but he's going to be great in his own right. I think there will be another guard to come along in the MJ/Kobe vein, but I don't think he's here yet.

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He gotta keep his head up and stop hanging his head when things get tough. I don’t ever recall seeing Kobe with a defeated attitude, he got pissed-off and put the team on his back to win or die trying. Tatum doesn’t have that level of aggression on the court to be the next Kobe and that’s alright.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
He gotta keep his head up and stop hanging his head when things get tough. I don’t ever recall seeing Kobe with a defeated attitude, he got pissed-off and put the team on his back to win or die trying. Tatum doesn’t have that level of aggression on the court to be the next Kobe and that’s alright.
I blame Bradley Beal for that.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Y'all gotta stop treating past athletes like unassailable gods. Kobe's 2nd half of 2006 Game 7 against the Suns was probably the most famous example of "defeated athlete giving up on the series" in modern NBA history. Kobe was a very aggressive shooter but once you get past the hype he was still a human just like all the other players.

1998 WCF Game 4
1999 WCSF Game 4
2003 WCSF Game 6
2004 Finals Game 5
entre 2005 season
2006 First Round Game 7
2008 Finals Game 6
2011 WCSF Game 4