Is it just me, or did the Olympics actually mean something when we were younger?

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Maybe because the world was a lot bigger back then, and we couldn't just pick up our phones and peek into any corner of the world we wanted, when we wanted. But if feels like the Olympics used to mean a lot more back in the day.

I used to countdown every four years to see the best athletes in the world go head to head.

This music would come on

and I'd be in the family room on some

:mjcry: :salute:

Now it's just like...

"Guess I'll catch the highlights on Youtube" :mjpls:

any of ya'll feel the same way?

Or is it just me? :to:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
As I grew up the Olympics are one of those things where I'm less excited/emotional at the start, but by the end while hearing the closing theme song and seeing the highlights I get sad that it's over and got to wait another four years for the next one.

At the end of the day, the events themselves don't mean much to people watching it because it's just entertainment as it's turned into simply a lot of rich people competing. There's lessons you extract from it though that potentially have personal value.

Last edited:

BBG

Superstar
Daps
I never gave a fukk.

No seriously, maybe because American football has always been my favorite sport but I can count on one hand how many times I've actually sat and watched an Olympic event in it's entirety (not the entire Olympics of course, just individual events).

Basketball is my number 2 sport so after 2004 I watched '08 and '12 just to be sure America still running shyt but nah. I'll never understand how nikkas tune in to watch figure skating and the high jump n shyt.

Especially being a black man, I ain't ever had the super patriotism pride to sit and watch just cuz "GO 'MURICA"

Also on a side note, the whole "we built this country"argument from nikkas is annoying. If I build myself a house and then some cac beats me, rapes my family, and forces me and my descendents into slavery mowing the grass and producing crops while never actually getting to live inside my house, instead I just had to build myself a wooden shack to sleep in the field, what the hell am I so proud about building the house for?? It's laughable, until the day we decide to rise up and move in the house and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

We never even got the cotdayum mule. Enjoy your Thursday brehs

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I still enjoy it, but generally, we’re all just getting older and don’t have that connection with the previous era stars. My favorite Olympic years were 04-16. Plus currently, the way social media is, you’re extremely accessible to everybody and there’s no mystique for folks (and that’s not just the Olympics, it’s all media types).

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
As I grew up the Olympics are one of those things where I'm less excited/emotional at the start, but by the end while hearing the closing theme song and seeing the highlights I get sad that it's over and got to wait another four years for the next one.

At the end of the day, the events themselves don't mean much to people watching it because it's just entertainment as it's turned into simply a lot of rich people competing. There's lessons you extract from it though that potentially have personal value.

I feel the same way. I don't know if they still do this because I don't track the footage as much, but they used to run those expose's on smaller countries, or athletes that overcame something huge that went on to compete, which added a bit of a personal touch. The athletes weren't just a number, or a flag.

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Nah when ur younger you just thought they were more important than they are and now that you flabbyandsick you realize they aint shyt...

You realize alot of things you thought were a big deal really werent as you get old :yeshrug:

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
If I flip on the TV and it's on, I'll watch. Especially if it's something cool like Table Tennis or a combat sport. But I don't actually check the schedule and mark out time to watch specific events.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
I never gave a fukk.

No seriously, maybe because American football has always been my favorite sport but I can count on one hand how many times I've actually sat and watched an Olympic event in it's entirety (not the entire Olympics of course, just individual events).

Basketball is my number 2 sport so after 2004 I watched '08 and '12 just to be sure America still running shyt but nah. I'll never understand how nikkas tune in to watch figure skating and the high jump n shyt.

Especially being a black man, I ain't ever had the super patriotism pride to sit and watch just cuz "GO 'MURICA"

Also on a side note, the whole "we built this country"argument from nikkas is annoying. If I build myself a house and then some cac beats me, rapes my family, and forces me and my descendents into slavery mowing the grass and producing crops while never actually getting to live inside my house, instead I just had to build myself a wooden shack to sleep in the field, what the hell am I so proud about building the house for?? It's laughable, until the day we decide to rise up and move in the house and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

We never even got the cotdayum mule. Enjoy your Thursday brehs

The premier track and field events are dope. I'm watching the 100, 200, 400, 4x100 events are must see TV. Can't do figure skating...

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We’re getting older with different priorities

More entertainment options

If you wanted to see the 100m dash, you had to sit and watch a bunch of other events and commercials. Now you can pull up a tweet with the race twenty seconds after it’s over.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Take into consideration that TV ain't what it once was. In The 80s the whole country was watching regular TV. By the 90s almost everyone had cable. In 2024 regular TV is still a thing but with smartphones and all the stream sites, regular TV is not the great unifier of the country like it once was.