Is finishing a game equal to enjoying it?

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
You must not buy very many games or play many in general.
my tastes changed over time. i used to be content with a 10 hour pump and dump with limited playstyles a few years ago but now i probably wont bother playing a game if i cant go through it with different builds/playstyles/weapons/skills at least once over

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I never finished FFVII, VIII, Chrono Trigger
Either you're very young or new to gaming if you're even remotely into JRPGs and never finished these. Chrono Trigger and FFVII are basically like the required reading of the genre.

The thing is these games are old now so going back and playing them in the modern era is gonna shape how you feel about them. In some respects it will be much harder to appreciate them now than it would have been back in their day.

It's like a modern anime fan that has never seen DBZ watching it today. DBZ is old as hell and it's dated. It has it's charms and flaws but in most respects modern anime storytelling has far surpassed what DBZ was doing back then. Somebody watching DBZ for the first time today is gonna think it's overrated as hell.

There are some games I loved that I never finished. Valkyria Chronicles. My PS3 got stolen and I lost my save but I own it on the PS4 and will beat it before the new game is released. Outside of something like that if you don't at least finish a game then you couldn't have really been feeling it that much especially if you put it down to play something else and never returned to it. Finishing a game means on some level you enjoyed it unless it's a very short game.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
my tastes changed over time. i used to be content with a 10 hour pump and dump with limited playstyles a few years ago but now i probably wont bother playing a game if i cant go through it with different builds/playstyles/weapons/skills at least once over
I'm the opposite. There's way too many great games to keep playing the same ones over and over.

I don't think I've replayed a single game this entire gen but I've beaten at least 150.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Either you're very young or new to gaming if you're even remotely into JRPGs and never finished these. Chrono Trigger and FFVII are basically like the required reading of the genre.

The thing is these games are old now so going back and playing them in the modern era is gonna shape how you feel about them. In some respects it will be much harder to appreciate them now than it would have been back in their day.

It's like a modern anime fan that has never seen DBZ watching it today. DBZ is old as hell and it's dated. It has it's charms and flaws but in most respects modern anime storytelling has far surpassed what DBZ was doing back then. Somebody watching DBZ for the first time today is gonna think it's overrated as hell.

There are some games I loved that I never finished. Valkyria Chronicles. My PS3 got stolen and I lost my save but I own it on the PS4 and will beat it before the new game is released. Outside of something like that if you don't at least finish a game then you couldn't have really been feeling it that much especially if you put it down to play something else and never returned to it. Finishing a game means on some level you enjoyed it unless it's a very short game.
I'm 28. Turn 29 later this year. I played FFVII around the time it released in 97/98. I just never had the real game myself and then years later I tried to play it on PSP but then I think my PSP broke or something.

Chrono Trigger I first started playing I believe almost 2 years ago. I liked it. I didn't finish(I think I got up to the part where you go back in time a long ass time ago).

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm the opposite. There's way too many great games to keep playing the same ones over and over.

I don't think I've replayed a single game this entire gen but I've beaten at least 150.

I'm this way outside of platformers. I never got the excitement of NG+/platting a game with a replay. It's all too fresh.

A better question for OP is, does 100% a game or doing a significant number of side quests = enjoyment?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I'm 28. Turn 29 later this year. I played FFVII around the time it released in 97/98. I just never had the real game myself and then years later I tried to play it on PSP but then I think my PSP broke or something.

Chrono Trigger I first started playing I believe almost 2 years ago. I liked it. I didn't finish(I think I got up to the part where you go back in time a long ass time ago).
Did you finish Persona 5?

Did you finish Horizon?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
that's one reason. That's not the only reason. That's what I'm getting at, the idea that because someone hasn't finished a game(yet) then that means the shyt isn't enjoyable. it's myopic.
Bruh, this stems from the overwhelming fact when receipts are checked you Sony Kats look funny in the light :dame:

Resogun says hi