Is finishing a game equal to enjoying it?

llt23

All Star
Daps
I beat Mass Effect Andromeda. It was trash.

Theres a few games that I put on hold that I think are great too. I still havent finished GTA5, FFXII HD on ps4, RE0 remake.....etc etc I could list a lot of Steam games I havent completed yet that I like.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I've been thinking @Fatboi1

Again, thanks for the thread. Would a better question be...

If a highly acclaimed feels like a chore to get through, what does that say about the enjoyability of the game?

Thoughts?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've been thinking @Fatboi1

Again, thanks for the thread. Would a better question be...

If a highly acclaimed feels like a chore to get through, what does that say about the enjoyability of the game?

Thoughts?
It doesn't say anything. It says something for THAT player. One person's experience isn't representative of everyone. It's how you often see a few highly acclaimed games get "backlash" from a vocal minority online. You're seeing what you want to see. You're trying to frame this point in some sort of quasi-objective way by speaking of this in black/white terms when it can't be. A highly acclaimed game that's a chore to get through doesn't make sense as it's not a chore for everyone obviously. If I said I found Overwatch to be a chore at times you'd be ready to explain away what it is(you're not good probably, you're playing alone, u need a team, get it on Xbox etc.)

Enjoyability is subjective. If you don't enjoy visual novels, it won't matter if one comes out and is rated highly by reviewers/fans. Some cats can point to Zelda being a 97 on Metacritic and one of the high rated titles of all time but then there's someone who found it meh. If your take away from this is that because you see a vocal minority claim a certain title is a chore to them then that means something is wrong with the game then I can't tell you anything :yeshrug: Vocal minorities or dissenters typically post/talk the loudest. Those who enjoy something usually don't even talk or they just make a mention and leave. I always see way more drawn out posts by people who don't like a game or those who feel like it should be taken down a peg. It's pure arrogance.

All Star
Daps
I'm done when I finish most games. Some people need that plat/100% tho. :manny:

Hostile

All Star
Daps
No. I don't like COD but finished Black Ops 1's campaign to see what people thought was so great about it.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
Hell no. I need replay value. Finishing a game is just the start for me. If I finish a game and have no desire to go back, I feel like I wasted my money

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I never finished FFVII, .
So you didn't fight Sephiroth or get hold of Knights of the Round Table :hhh: You might as well have not played that game.

To answer your question, if I'm feeling a game I will finish it because I'm enjoying, much like a film or TV show. Similarly if a game is wack or dull even if I'm 80% of the way through I have no problem dropping it (e.g Last of Us for instance). That said I finished Witcher 3 and I thought that shyt was mostly dry as hell...

Last edited:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Atleast 8/10 for me

The last five games I "finished"

Walking Dead S3
Tomb Raider (Rise)
Dragon Age: Inquisition
+ Trespasser
Mass Effect Andromeda
Fallout 4 (I think)

Didn't like one and finished to see the pay off.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
theirs games ive played and finished that weren't good, i just finished them cause thats what you do i guess

couldn't finish halo wars tho that shyt was boring

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I've finished a lot of games i hated. I tend to want to give games every chance to win me over.

I've not finished tons of games i enjoyed :yeshrug:

I play so many damn games sometimes theirs no really rhyme or reason why I finish one but not another. Sometimes you just get distracted by real life shyt and then other games come out and even though you liked the game you just can't get around to going back to it. There's so many games in my back log that I keep telling myself I'll get back to.

So no. Completing a game does not signal wether you enjoyed it or not